Notices

Let's Give this Another Try

Old 07-29-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Let's Give this Another Try

Hello all,

I'm new to the site, but not from trying to get sober; been at that for about a year, now. My drinking has very effectively taken a great deal away from me: friends, boyfriends, my job, my license, and of course my health (the last time I was in detox they said my liver is starting to show signs of damage that could soon be irreparable). I'm only 27!

Right now I'm trying to taper off because I don't have health insurance and can't afford to go to the hospital/back to detox and I'm scared senseless about going into cardiac arrest or something. When I'm feeling a bit better I'm going to go to an AA meeting - that's something I've never done as an adult before.

Anyway, I figured I'd post and say hello. I'm really hoping this site helps in my recovery - I can't keep doing this to myself or the people I love.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Red face

I'm in the same place...God I want to go to betty ford for a month & get the best of care...Ain't happening! We do what we have to do. Hang tough, keep posting, keep your chin up. You're a good person & dont forget it. Drinking screws with the mind, Don't give up.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Haha, yeah, wouldn't that be nice? Thank you for your kind words, we'll both get through this.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't wait to go to AA. I was sick and suffering when I called and went to a meeting. We don't care how you look or feel, we care that you walked in and need help.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back alphabet

Personally, I think seeing a Dr is a far safer bet than tapering.

There are a lot of free or low cost clinics around - if there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there?

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics
The 10377 clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.
2-1-1 Call Center Search

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.
D
Old 07-29-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on taking the first step! I, too, could not afford a detox center and could not find any free or low cost centers, so I decided to taper off until I quit completely 4 days ago. Luckily, I had no serious side effects. Tapering worked for me, but it doesn't work for everyone. It involves controlled drinking, iron will power and lots of prayers.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you guys.

I have tapered before with success, but was at the time in an abusive relationship with an alcoholic, so that didn't last. I'm now out of that situation and want/need to give complete sobriety another go - hopefully my last!
Old 07-29-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Alphabet - it's great to have you join us. I'm sure you'll find it helpful to be here where we all understand.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to a friendly supportive place.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone.

I'm feeling a bit better today; went for a short walk and didn't feel like I was going to die, so that's a big improvement.

I'm upset, though, that I can't get on to the chat feature. I guess my laptop is too old for what appears to be the only downloadable Java option available these days. I was really looking forward to chatting with people on here to help pass the time. Oh well.