Notices

Question from a newbie

Old 07-29-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question from a newbie

Hi all - I'm day 5 sober (made it through the weekend, woot woot!) and here's my question: I am more thirsty now than I've ever been, and I was already drinking over a gallon of water a day (plus all the wine...) Is this an expected "detox" sort of side effect, and I was wondering if there is a reliable list of other "symptoms" to expect or be aware of? Thanks so much!
Old 07-29-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi SoberJill, and welcome!! Your body is likely very dehydrated and so that's why you're thirsty. There is a sticky (at the top) in the Alcoholism section from the main page that describes "what to expect/what we did" that was useful to me. Obviously, everyone is unique but dehydration is fairly common. Again, everyone is different and depending on how much/often you drank, you should probably check with your doctor if you are worried about any of your symptoms. That's always the best and safest answer.

So glad to have you here and welcome again! Five days is awesome
Old 07-29-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi soberjill,

I find myself drinking a lot more as well (day 6 today). Last night though I realized that it just feels good to have something to sip on since I'm not drinking and water is something your body is probably already craving. Sipping it calms me down a little bit too as I've started feeling more irritable and anxious.

Great job getting to day 5!
Old 07-29-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dismember

Quite possible that you're just dehydrated.

It'd be a wise idea to look over the side effects of alcohol withdrawal. I think after 5 days usually those start to wane but it wouldn't hurt to know what to look for--everyone experiences their detox a little different.

Do you have a regular doctor that you see?
Old 07-29-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would get a blood sugar test to see if you have diabetes. One of the first symptoms of diabetes is extreme thirst.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you, all! I had not checked the right thread for the pinned info, appreciate the heads up! Ptcapote, LOVE the picture! And july2413, what a clever screen name! I like the idea of being on your heels, lets both keep this up! Isiah, I figured as much. I have a regular doctor but usually only go for illnesses! Have been eating more, but that's more of a knowing I won't have what I'm craving, so I'm trying everything else in case it will take the edge off. Thanks all!
Old 07-29-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh the first week I was sober I couldn't get enough water! That really surprised me, and I had headaches every day for about 2 weeks, another surprise since I attributed my headaches to the wine!
Old 07-29-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good job! Keep going, it gets easier.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Alexa, I thought the headaches were from the alcohol, too... And now I know for sure I'm not dehydrated! I thought maybe just pressure from the weather but I will attribute them to this process and try to patiently await the next stage. Thanks!
Old 07-29-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Eleni58, I recently had bloodwork, and it was normal. I'm thinking I may be somewhat hypoglycemic, which I just read is very common, too. Thanks!