Notices

6 Months Ago Today :)

Old 07-29-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 Months Ago Today :)

It was 6 months ago today that I took my very last drink of alcohol. While I'm still a newbie to sobriety, this six months has provided a fierce self-confidence and strength that I wasn't originally sure that I'd be able to reach. It's surreal, feeling sort of like slowly waking up from comatose a state of being.

Last week I had to go downtown for a big job interview. I felt a bit uneasy (to be expected) as I've been hibernating in my own little world for quite awhile now,... I felt very "exposed." As I left the interview and walked down the busy street, I felt incredibly uneasy and on the verge of tears, knowing that I probably didn't get it, ...funds are getting low, and I've been facing this alone. I just wanted to rush home and crawl back into bed. The thoughts of a drink passed through my mind, but my newfound clarity was now strong enough to dismiss it and handle the fear and insecurity with a clear minded grace and dignity. Deep breaths, calling a friend, reclaiming hope, knowing everything will work out fine...reclaiming my future. That's what sobriety is bringing me.

Here's some of the beauty that I've discovered so far in my sobriety:

Conquering Solitude - I'm learning to embrace solitude. It's okay, I don't need to escape being alone. A drink doesn't change anything, as it just drugged me into sleep and postponed the inevitable.

Realizing Vices - My eyes are open to all of the vices that I've used as escapism that I've sought out to alleviate emotional pain. I don't need alcohol, to jump into any relationship, drama, or constant social stimulation to escape my own emotions. I'm fully equipped and capable of dealing with it on my own.

Depression/Anxiety Significantly Diminished - I'm amazed at how much this area of my life has improved. The first 3 months were still a little tough for me, but as time has progressed, I've noticed that my lows and anxiety are no longer the deep and dark, debilitating depression feelings. The lows are a normal now, very manageable, like they're supposed to feel. There are also fewer of them. I now feel a more easygoing, natural happy feeling overall.

Owning My Responsibility - Letting go of resentment, anger and blame toward anyone else in my life. Realizing that happiness and prosperity is my own choice, and no-one else can do it for me. Embracing my own responsibility has been liberating and given me back my strength - and realizing I've always had it!

I'm overcome with joy to be at 6 months of sobriety, and I look forward to a bright and continued sober future. I feel a strong sense of beholden to this beautiful SR community for the genuine support, love, and unabashed wisdom. You have been my saving grace, and I am forever grateful for that.

Have a most wonderful day SR family!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

SnwFlower, thank you for a beautiful post and congratulations on 6 months. It's great that you did all the right things after your job interview instead of picking up a drink. That's all we can do - the next right thing. It was really inspiring to hear about what you've discovered so far in your sobriety. I only have 22 days and I'm struggling a bit with other vices such as food, sleep and drama and with depression, so it's encouraging to hear that these areas of your life have improved over time.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What a fantastic post, thank you! I am a half month behind you and agree with your list completely. Especially the parts about vices and owning responsibility. So well put, SnwFlower. I thought I was going to be bored to pieces in sobriety and was so afraid to be by myself without my trusted glass (bottles!) of wine. So much has changed since then. Lots of ups and downs but, overall, still the very best decision I have ever made.

Lots of good wishes and congratulations to you! You rock and thanks so much for this post, it is very inspiring!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice post.

Jim
Old 07-29-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for an inspiring post. Congratulations on 6 months!!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That was an amazing post, thankyou so much for sharing.

Many congratulations on your well-deserved 6 months
Old 07-29-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

That was a FANTASTIC post! Congratulations on 6 months!
Old 07-29-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wonderful post! Inspirational!
Congratulations on 6 months!

I'm on day 27 and working at dealing with all those "before" issues in your post. Your "after" states sound beautiful indeed, I hope to get there.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 months. You put in the effort and look where you are today, good deal!
Old 07-29-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

WOW, such an inspirational post. I'm on Day 5 at the moment and feeling quite alone and down in the dumps. So glad to hear that as time progressed you have become stronger psychologically and better able to cope with what life throws your way.

^6 months sober.....well done and good luck for the future.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

SnwFlower... truly awesome insight & post. And congrats to you on your six months!!
Old 07-29-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations SnwFlower
great post

D
Old 07-29-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Snwflower Congrats!!! You are doing great.