Notices

First day home from detox

Old 07-29-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First day home from detox

Hi everyone, i have been reading the threads for a while and this seams like a great group. My husband has been a heavy drinker for years. Finaly he hit his bottom and checked into an inpatient detox.

He was only there for 4 days but they said his med cycle was done so it was time to leave. He could really use a month in rehab but we can only afford the detox. I just picked him up this morning and he is now sleeping. The librium must still be working and im scared of what will happen after it wears off.

My question is, should i try and create a home rehab environment for him? Like setting up AA meeting schedules, positive activities, meditation classes and preparing healthy meals. Would that be too co-dependant?

We have 2 young kids and he is unemployed so his recovery is of the utmost importance for our family. What can i do (if anything) to help him with his sobriety?
Old 07-29-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(Iheart). welcome to SR! A big part of recovery for me was doing it for myself. Did the detox give him a list of meetings in your area? If not, maybe you can suggest your husband call the AA hotline and get the times and places.

It would be good for you to reach out to Alanon. It's very important that you take care of you! Please check out the Friends and Family section here at SR. We have so many great, supportive people here!

Love from Lenina
Old 07-29-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dismember

Hi Iheart,

I think it would do no harm to work with him on such a set-up.

Co-dependency kicks in when you start to act on his behalf expecting that your actions are going to have effect. You're setting yourself up for co-dependent trouble if you start thinking you can fix him, or believing his recovery depends on your efforts. But if you try and provide your husband with a safe, rehabilitative environment at home that in of itself isn't co-dependency, that's being a commited partner.

The Friends & Family forum might give you more experience and better advise. The newcomer forum is a great place for anyone and everyone to start (so we can give you a warm SR welcome) but most the people who use this part of the site are people with addictions.

Glad your husband took a first step in tackling the problem. If he were here we'd be giving him our congradulations, best wishes and support as well.

-Iz
Old 07-29-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

he should be acting to work it himslef. Dont take it over for him.
al anon can help you if you need it.
Dont take the control