Notices

3-hundreth time's a charm.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3-hundreth time's a charm.

Hi folks.

It was recommended that I begin posting to SR Forums here on "Newcomers". I scoffed... Newcomer? No way; I'm an old Pro at quitting drinking! I'm truly gifted at getting this alcohol monkey off my back; done it so many times I can't count. I have a Black Belt in starting over with a clean sober slate.

And yet here I am back at day 1.

Well, actually, yesterday was day 1, but I've learned not to trust it. I've abandoned all confidence in my ability to follow-through. This, clearly, is bigger than my personal will power and self-control. So I give up. I hereby yield the yoke to God who is infinately bigger than my drinking problem...yet closeby and intimate enough to speak directly into the soul of my personal battle.

In an effort to further abandon pride, I recognize that accountability and support may be a helpful ingredient to a sober life; so here I am on SR. Thanks in advance, team. On to day 2 (again).
Old 07-29-2013, 04:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am finding a lot of advice and support here -- and I know you will - good luck xxxxx
Forget all the other times -- -think positively about today xxxxx
Old 07-29-2013, 04:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've quit a few times before myself. Was sober for a year once. Each time u quit is different though. I hope this time you find peace and happiness.
Congrats on day two! And thanks for sharing. <3
Old 07-29-2013, 04:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. Many things can cause us not to get it. Lack of humility, not surrendering to the fact we can not drink in safety, not needing help, not being sick and tired of being sick and tired yet and a number of others. I've been there and done a lot of the above, until the pain got too bad and then I surrendered. I needed to get honest with MYSELF and go to a lot of AA meetings even when I didn't want to. Still years later it's working. HANG ON AND BE WELL
Old 07-29-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome.

I'm an old pro at quiting, too. Quiting is easy, as Mark Twain said, I've done it a thousand times.
It took turning it over to God for me too. And guess waht? Two years seven months sober.
And I was about as bad a drunk as it gets.

Good for you! It's great to have you here and hope to here more from you.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR BrokenBeloved

I have 6 years plus and I still post in Newcomers - there's no hierarchy here at all...just a lot of us working for a common goal

D
Old 07-29-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to a great place, Broken. We all understand what you're going through. You're never alone with this - we're here to listen and help.

I drank my whole life and had many attempts at sobriety too. I finally have over 5 yrs. sober and I know I'll never pick up again. You can do it too.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

glad yer back.

since gettin the monkey off yer back doesn't read to be workin too good i would suggest this time that when the monkeys off yer back, do what ya gotta do to kill the lil bastaad