Notices

Got any good excuses (lies)....

Old 07-29-2013, 01:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got any good excuses (lies)....

....I can use as reasons I'm not drinking when with my friends?

I know this might not be in line with some people's view on how you should be honest in recovery but I'd quite like some easy excuses that won't prompt further questioning / pushing.

Excuses I've thought of:
Early morning presentation at work
Driving later that evening
Taking medicine

Anyone got any better ones?
Old 07-29-2013, 01:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For health reasons/loosing weight.

I totally understand why you would do this instead of just saying I quit. People do tend to start with the 'why's'. I found though that my excuse had to be firm to avoid the 'oh go on, one won't hurt' comments. I initially said I had given up for lent, then to lose weight, and then it was just I quit drinking, I feel better if I don't drink. My best tool though was just to avoid drinking occasions. There was a massive difference in the way people responded to me in the early days when I was skittish and basically a wreck about quitting drinking and the response I got later when I was more confident.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Actually, along the same lines as the losing weight excuse, I could say I'm in training for a run or something.

Re. Lent - excellent excuse - but only during Lent :-)
Old 07-29-2013, 02:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dbillyd View Post
I know this might not be in line with some people's view on how you should be honest in recovery
The main goal is to be honest with yourself.

I don't see you deceiving yourself here and the tales you are telling others are for the your greater good.

The healthier lifestyle is an all around good one. It is ongoing and in reality is not a lie. Mental health and physical health.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll say it because I believe it needs to be said

When I quit I thought drinking was as important to everyone else as it was to me...but outside of my drinking buddies, that simply hasn't been the case.

I know it may sound wrong to you right now, but I really believe no thank you really is all you need to say, and it's all anyone needs to know.

D
Old 07-29-2013, 02:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i started by saying the doctor had adjusted my meds.

now, a few family and friends know the whole truth. for others, i simply say it stopped being fun so i quit 'for a while'.

just do whatever works for you.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Im honest with my best friend that im stopping and why and ob my husband but with other friends i'll just say i want a healthier lifestyle and im really not enjoying alcohol anymore...which i suppose is pretty truthful
Old 07-29-2013, 03:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In fact, nobody cares. You just say "I don't drink today" and that's it, usually no questions after that. I felt no pressure from outside, I was (am) my own enabler.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreddyBear View Post
In fact, nobody cares. You just say "I don't drink today" and that's it, usually no questions after that. I felt no pressure from outside, I was (am) my own enabler.
Wish it were that simple.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dbillyd View Post
Wish it were that simple.
And why it's not? What are they saying? It's your own business what you've poured into your glass. If they are aggressive about this, I would question the friendship in the first place. True friend will never insist.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreddyBear View Post
And why it's not? What are they saying? It's your own business what you've poured into your glass. If they are aggressive about this, I would question the friendship in the first place. True friend will never insist.
They're not aggressive about it, but obviously they've seen me drinking on all other occasions we meet up 'for a few beers' so naturally they have questions about it. I'm just looking for a quick, simple answer that nips it in the bud.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I would just tell matey your not enjoying it really anymore.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Just say you're on the wagon for a while. 'Losing weight' is good. You really will find people don't care that much. They may not even notice you're not drinking.
Despite what you think, lots of us don't feel we have to announce to everyone why we've given up. It's too easy to be labelled by others.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scotgirl79 View Post
I would just tell matey your not enjoying it really anymore.
'Why not? What's changed? Why aren't you enjoying it anymore? Why don't you just have one or two then? How long will this last? Aren't you bored not drinking?'

Are just some of the responses I can imagine.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'll probably say that I just feel better when I don't drink.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If no thank you isn't enough! Tell them the twisted truth. It's just not that fun anymore and your working on your health. Often the ones who care so much about why you aren't drinking are the ones who are too questioning there own drinking! People can get defensive I have witnessed this. Trust me if they are over reacting to your NOT drinking they are wishing they had the self control that you do!
Old 07-29-2013, 04:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Consider the real reasons you want to quit, and then say that. Describing your diagnosis or choice about your course of treatment isn't as impactful as sharing what the result will be. For example, instead of "I'm alcoholic...I've quit drinking", offer "I need to stay focused and on top of my game right now". Or "I have some big goals and I'm in the process of getting clarity on my life's purpose". Or "I need to stay centered to get the most out of life...I can't do the things I want if I'm fuzzy".
Old 07-29-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You could say you are doing a tester on how much money you could save ! and then actually use your saved money for a fantastic holiday - I love looking at how much money I have NOT spent on drink I drink soda water in our very expensive local pub which is FREE !!!! love that I m not spending my hard earned cash over the bar !!!! It works xxxx
Old 07-29-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well I've kind of shot myself in the foot. It's my bday in less than two weeks. Me being drunk on Saturday night has organised bowling then everyone back to mine for drinks. I'm intending on not drinking now and I will just tell everyone they can all crack on but I'm cool with juice. As I CBA with the hangovers and I just cannot be bothered with drinking now as I'm not enjoying it the same. They can question and think what they want but if there as good a friends as I hope they are they won't push me. I'll maybe have them taking the mick and winding me up but that's up to them. Try not to worry too much matey about it.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Scot the best birthday gift to yourself is the gift of sobriety!!! Happy almost bday!