Notices

need help

Old 07-28-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need help

sick of feeling sad and using alcohol to numb feelings, any suggestions?
Old 07-28-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here. Is this your first time trying to stop drinking? If not, what recovery methods have you tried before to help?
Old 07-28-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi needabetterlife

I can absolutely recommend not using alcohol to numb your feelings - you may even find the alcohol is playing a major part in making you sad.

Why not try to commit to a period of not drinking - you'll find a lot of support here, and you might be surprised at, in a few weeks, how much your mood changes for the better

D
Old 07-28-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No not my first time trying to stop drinking but the first time I have asked for help
Old 07-28-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have tried to stop drinking before but it has now become a really bad habit that I can't seem to stop
Old 07-28-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Bored with my life
Old 07-28-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

You will find lots of support here. Have you considered AA meetings? Some members here go to AA while others do not. The ones that do attend say it helps them.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would prefer not to go to an AA meeting...would like to see what happens here
Old 07-28-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family needabetterlife. We're glad you found us.

When I came here I'd been drinking forever. I wasn't sure I could let go of it, but I was miserable - like you are. Nothing was fun anymore, I was always in a fog - there was no joy or hope. I found SR - and right away I felt better, knowing I wasn't alone. I didn't think anyone would ever feel the way I did - but here, I could share my feelings & everyone understood. I found the courage to let go of alcohol. I hope you'll find the support you're looking for. You can do this.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi needabetterlife,

I'm new here too. I haven't had anything to drink in five days. It's helped me so much to be able to come here and just share what is going on in my life, as boring as it is some days. I hope you find the same help here!
Old 07-28-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Needabetterlife, I never gave up and now I'm 3 years sober. It was tough in the beginning but got better as the days went by. You can do it, rootin for ya.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi needabetterlife,
I felt the same way about life. I felt like cardboard, I was tired all of the time. I was shocked by sobriety! Alcohol can be slippery slope, but a slow one so that you don't know what you are missing. I'm only on day three these days-come on over to our July Quitters thread-http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-pt-2-a-3.html
Post if you like
Old 07-28-2013, 10:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad you're here. This place can be a wonderful resources of information and support should you wish to stick around. AA is not the only recovery answer but its definitely the biggest and oldest truck on the block. I know for me I got to the point I was open to any answer should I find myself wanting to pick up that drink...what could I do not to pick up? My recovery is somewhat multi format...I have a counsellor I see bi-weekly, I have SR, I read TONS on addiction/recovery...and I remain open to whatever is required in order to do my life sober. So far..so good.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes, Sobriety is well worth it. It may sound dull at first. That's because your brain's gotten used to alcohol. But eventually you will probably look back and wonder why the stuff ever had that much appeal. Actually alcohol is a holdover from the old days when people had fewer ways to deal with anxieties medically. It's probably the worst way to do that since it's a depressant and usually makes things worse. Far better to seek medical advice and make sure that the doctor maintains a strict control over the type and amount of medication. Then you can go to parties with a glass of Sprite and for the most part folks aren't that concerned that there's no booze in it. Put a slice of lime on the rim and you probably won't be quizzed and, if folks get intrusive, then just go and talk to someone else.

W.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

So what is stopping you from quitting? My addiction tricked me into thinking I had a boring life that needed alcohol for excitement. It was lying to me. Now that I quit, I get involved with stuff. I play guitar, exercise, go with the family places. I can do all of that because I am not consumed with thoughts of alcohol any more. When you free yourself of that, you might just find your life a little more exciting.