Notices

New to this

Old 07-28-2013, 03:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this

Hey, im new here, and really wanting to stop drinking. Ive found the past 6 months ive really stepped up my drinking to about 4 nights a week..its normally a bottle of wine and another glass for good measure. Last night i had 2 bottles and a glass as well. I was T total up to the age of 25 well bar a night out once a yr orso. Then i became depressed after having my third child, started drinking to cope , once better i still drank once a week orso and now ive had my 4th and im not working as its easier not to juggle child care as hubby works so much i get bored at night and i know its wrong as not once has wine done me any favours but im drinking more and more. Ive taken up hobbies to try deter me from it but now i just cant stay away from that muck. I know its only a mental thing its not going to harm me if i stop, its just breaking the horrible cycle. Im really lucky have a great group of friends and a superb family. So ive no idea why ive turned into the person that i just would not stomach in my previous life. I grew up with my mum drinking and to me alcohol was the devil and i could barely stand her most days. but, shes ace now will only ever drink a cpl of small vinos each night where as im going the same way she did :/
Old 07-28-2013, 04:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You aren't overreacting and it's good that you are here! Life is so much better without alcohol.

Keep coming!
Old 07-28-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I will do, altho tbh i am drinking now. I felt so ill this morning an i just thought sod it. I hardly ever drink before 5 but today i just cant deal with being me and ill :/ lol
Old 07-28-2013, 04:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. For your future benefit I suggest you save this posting of yours for a remember when. Usually if someone thinks they have a problem with alcohol they do. The simplest cure is to not pick up another drink so we don't have to get sober AGAIN. AA has helped millions over the years along with reading posts here. The above is simple tho not always easy. Hang in one day at a time if you can. BE WELL
Old 07-28-2013, 04:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yeah ive been to AA it was too much for me, not that it doesnt work for other folk but for me i just couldnt deal with it. I have so many things to be thankful for and yet for some reason un be known to me im just taking my life trying to ruin it.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes I can identify with you in regards my beginning in AA. In my alcohol soaked brain I found fault with most things, from the slogans, the stories which I didn't believe and on and on. Like my way was working!!! I even disagreed that most alcoholics are egomaniacs with inferiority complexes and are a un disciplined lot. Boy I argued that because as a non somber person I knew it all. I got responses like how's it working for me? After a period of time and seeing that I was slipping faster I SURRENDED to my dis-ease and started to get honest with myself because I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I even started to follow directions and inch by inch things, me, got better. Thirty + years later I'd like to thank the tough love old timers that saved so many lives of twisted people like me. BE WELL
Old 07-28-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Arrii,
It creeps up on us...the amount we drink....you have come to a good place for support and to read about other people's struggles. You can get things under control...I just know it. I am on Day 7 and 2 weeks ago I couldn't have even imagined cutting back much less quitting. Its a day at a time, sometimes an hour or minute at a time. Good luck on your journey. We can encourage each other.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Arrii View Post
Ive taken up hobbies to try deter me from it but now i just cant stay away from that muck. I know its only a mental thing its not going to harm me if i stop, its just breaking the horrible cycle.
Welcome.

It's "only a mental thing" that can take away our lives and everything else that's dear to us; leave us in financial, physical and psychological ruin; and has stumped our best scientists and medical minds for centuries.

At some point in my recovery, I learned to stop considering whether or not I can "do this" ("this" being sobriety and virtually every other challenge in my life), and instead started to believe that whether or not I can "do this" is unhelpful and detrimental when I believe I'm incapable. There's no shame in failure. For me, the real shame is not giving my best effort to things that are important to me.

It's never a bad time to walk away from the drink.