Notices

38 days clean....military veteran..

Old 07-27-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy 38 days clean....military veteran..

Hello... I am new here. The Va doctors helped get me hooked on pain pills. Do to a injury which happened while on active duty...They were giving more and more meds instead of surgery. Three years later and I finally meet with surgeon Tuesday july30... But already an addict. Now on subs from the veterans hospital.. Not saying its all there fault, but they gave me all the drugs..I'm just saying...now I am an injured,addict with severe PTSD...
Old 07-27-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi gijane, and welcome. I am not in the military myself but work for them as a civilian. I am very familiar with what you are describing above (meds instead of surgery or long-term PT) as I have both friends and colleagues going through the same. I know you know this but, it's not your fault. And you totally can get through this. I am glad you're meeting with the surgeon on Tuesday. Do they have you on a taper on the subs? Do you have any other support for now or after your surgery?

I am in DC so not familiar with Cali as much but there are some support groups around here for exactly this. Some are affiliated with NA or AA and others are more independent and occur on base or post.

In either case, so glad you are here and please keep posting.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome gijane

regardless of who's fault it was or where the blame lies, I hope you're on the track to getting out of a bad situation and into a better, new one.

You deserve that.
you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 07-27-2013, 09:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry you have been through a lot sounds like. You can do this just use whatever resources you can to get better and look forward....life will not always be like this. You are absolutely right about pushing the meds. My husband is airborne and every single time he goes in for one of the multiple problems he just comes home with pain pills and muscle relaxers. Just....I don't want to even get into this but you are right to be mad...just don't let it trigger you.

find someone, a friend a therapist and stranger, that you can talk to about everything. If you want to pm me to vent go ahead I'll listen. There are some other military people on here I'm sure they will find you.

Hang in there.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for your service.

And welcome to this site.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gijane2013 View Post
Hello... I am new here. The Va doctors helped get me hooked on pain pills. Do to a injury which happened while on active duty...They were giving more and more meds instead of surgery. Three years later and I finally meet with surgeon Tuesday july30... But already an addict. Now on subs from the veterans hospital.. Not saying its all there fault, but they gave me all the drugs..I'm just saying...now I am an injured,addict with severe PTSD...
It's an injustice that the military hasn't found a way to give purple hearts for emotional and spiritual injuries. I came home wounded in every way there was, also an addict and also severe PTSD. I spent seven years on the run from nightmares going six and seven days without sleep regularly by keeping myself so hopped up on amphetamines that I couldn't remember my name... but I could still remember the faces of the people I killed and the friends I had lost.

I've been clean now for twenty-one years. There is a way out. My story can be found in Stories of Recovery section here if you are interested. PM me if I can be of any support as a fellow veteran.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

GIJane, 38 days clean....military veteran.. You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. Yes, by all means, thank you for your service. Rootin for ya.