Notices

why does change have to hurt so bad?

Old 07-27-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation why does change have to hurt so bad?

O.K. here's the gist... I was in a relationship was this person. When we met I had relapsed from 10 years sober already, In January I got sober again, (he continued to drink as he had when we met!) I stayed sober for almost 6 months & relapsed again. NOT saying it's his fault he wasn't even in the state at the time. But, today I'm 4 days out of detox & went there and got my things. It's GOT to be over for my own health. I know in my mind I cannot be around him when he drinks. And, he likes to drink...
Back to the why... Why the heck does it suck to do the right thing? I've felt that this relationship was doomed for awhile, But, still want to find comfort there...
I wish they made a Green Tea for heartache!!!
I will stay away one day at a time.... Sounds about right!
Old 07-27-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for your hurt. Breaking up is hard to do. Even when it is unhealthy, it is hard. Please keep moving forward. Nurture yourself, and walk into the direction that you are meant to be in. Drinking will only make it worse, and so as you know, one day at a time. Ten years is a long stretch with sobriety. You can recover from this heartache, and you will get your life back on track. I am glad that you saw where drinking will take you, and you took the appropriate steps into a better life.
I wish they made green tea for Heartache too. Ice cream was invented for moments like this. For all moments!
Once again, I am sorry for your aching heart. Please keep posting.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can be comfortable with yourself in your sobriety.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"Why the heck does it suck to do the right thing?"
for me its all in my perspective.

wouldn't it suck more to stick around and end up back in detox in no time?

could this be that yer experiencing fear(painful emotion marked by alarm, dread, anxiety,
agitation, uneasiness, apprehension)?
Old 07-27-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have emphaty for you.
this month would it be 7 years merried but instead I'm going through divorce.
but I got my sanity ( sobriety )back and I love it, I got to walk this new path alone.
you are doing great by taking care of your self...
Old 07-27-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Very hard situation. It always seems easier to not be alone, but you are doing the right thing for your life.

My thoughts are with you.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

If you're in AA, some would say that it sucks to do the right thing because we are not spiritually fit. Yet there is no known remedy for heartache.

What's available for you is to be better able to manage your feelings while you're sober. A lot of things still suck in sobriety, but they rarely defeat us the way they did while we were drinking.

I've likened breakups for some people to walking out of a bomb shelter following a nuclear blast. Walking barefoot amid broken glass and twisted metal. Surrounded by utter devastation. An exquisite sense of being alone in the world. No idea what to do next, or where to begin. It hurts so much that we feel as though we're going to die from the pain alone.

I've found that -- for me and others -- this is a great place to tackle feelings of loneliness.

Keep on posting.