OT: possibly mentally ill neighbor

Old 07-27-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: possibly mentally ill neighbor

I hope it's ok to post this...I know it's not recovery related, but you guys give such good advice...

Our neighbor across the street appears to have some sort of mental illness that results in occasional psychosis. Usually she's very quiet, but about twice a month, often when there's a drastic change in the weather, interestingly enough, she sits outside of her house and just yells profane things at an undetermined entity. It's usually short lived and takes place during the day - most people in the neighborhood just look the other way.

Last night, however, was the worst I've ever seen her. At around 10:30 she was pacing around her yard, screaming vulgar things at an entity she referred to as "dead girl." This went on for nearly an hour. She was largely yelling and gesturing at the house, but when RABF went out to get something in his car, she turned her attention to him and started telling him "your time will come too." She was also repeatedly retreating into her house and slamming the screen door loudly over and over again.

These episodes always end eventually with her going back into her home, and she seemingly never leaves her yard in the course of the episode. I feel silly even typing this out, because I don't believe she's really a danger to anyone, but last night she was more agitated than I've ever seen her in the year and a half I've lived here. It seems like whatever is antagonizing her mentally was worse last night than ever.

Frankly, I just don't want her to get to a point where she hurts herself or others. I'm embarrassed to admit that her behavior last night legitimately frightened me. I work in a field where I encounter mental illness regularly, so I'm surprised that it bothered me so much. That being said, I don't imagine that there's much I can do about it. It's also possible she may have a caretaker or family member who is with her much of the time - I'm just not sure.

Any suggestions on how to handle this? I realize that I can't "fix" it and I don't want to, but I do want to not feel frightened by any future episodes and to know if there is anything I should be doing if this seems to keep escalating. I do encounter mental illness often but I am surely not an expert in it, so I'm hoping you wonderful folks can help out.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Skipper

I'm not sure it is a mental illness. Could she be practicing some kind of religion that's different than yours? Or maybe she has a haunting! Things we don't understand can become quite scary to us. I would assign it the "strange but true" funny category and keep on living my life. If she is a noise nuisance with all the yelling, I might call law enforcement at 10:30. I need my sleep!
Old 07-28-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I am sorry that her behavior is so frightening. She may very well have a mental illness if she is talking to people or things that are not there. I suppose that as long as she remains on her property and does not bother anyone else, there really isn't much that can be done.

However, if she does start verbally assaulting people who drive by/walk by, then perhaps the authorities should be called. I would hate to see her hurt herself or someone else during one of her episodes.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

She could be talking to a spirit...
Old 07-30-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Believe it or not, I have a neighbor who lives across the street from me who does this very same thing. He's a young man, very sweet and clearly a bit mental, and he does the same darn thing!

The other neighbors also look away and deal with him the best they can. Over the past few decades, our state has systematically removed safety nets for mentally ill people. We prefer to incarcerate them now. Put them in privatized prisons, for profit.

For me, my morals dictate that I care for this neighbor of mine, in some way. I'm glad he's got his own little place and isn't in a freaking prison. So, when he starts going off in the yard, I stay in my house and pray for him. My neighbor has parents who regularly check in on him. I have thought about getting their phone number, so i can call them if he needs help.

Secondly- many folks who can hear and see the Spirit Realm are given the title of mentally ill. My experience is that folks like this can actually attract spirits, but unless you know a Medicine Person, I don't mess around with that stuff. Just use whatever protection you have to keep your own spiritual space clean.