Notices

Decent idea or too much of a bandaid?

Old 07-26-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Decent idea or too much of a bandaid?

My husband is Air National Guard full-time. He's also a weekender. This weekend he works. I'm fragile at best on day 2 today, day 3 tomorrow. I'm incredibly nervous. I rarely make it through day 3. Well, I stocked up on groceries, and have all I really need for the weekend (it's HOT where we live, so we probably wouldn't leave the house much anyway even if he was here this weekend). Anyway, I was planning on asking him to take my car keys while he goes to work. His hours aren't long. Just 7-4. I know it's a crutch, but at this point I perceive it as a necessary one. I plan on going to a meeting tomorrow evening after he gets home and even one on Sunday after he gets home if I feel it's necessary. I start OP rehab on Monday. I do have two young children with me at home all weekend, but in the event of an emergency I could call him, and in an extreme emergency there's always 911. I know I can't go on doing this forever, but I'm desperate and I don't trust myself one bit.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I see nothing wrong with that idea. Heck, I opted to quarantine myself in a treatment center with no cell phone and couldn't leave the premises for 21 days to beat my addiction. Many of us admit we have no power over alcohol, and eventually we know that means keeping ourselves contained. Many of us, myself included, do this by choice and on recommendations of experts, especially in the early going.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think if it helps go for it. Plus you will have removed you choice to get it so you can focus on having two good days with your kids doing fun things instead of debating whether or not to go get alcohol. Be strong!
Old 07-26-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you will feel better giving him the keys, then do it. There will come a time when you will start to feel more confident with your decision.
Try not to stress too much over this. You can make it through the day and evening. We are always here, so post, post, post.

Here are some ideas for tomorrow:

Call a friend, call the AA hotline, knit a sweater, build a fort, eat some ice cream, clean the house, take the kids to the park (weather permitting) go swimming, read, take a cool bath, take a nap, plant some flowers, paint a picture, nurture your inner child, scrub the floor. Watch a movie. Clean the windows, play a game, internet surf, take up sowing, meditate, read the dictionary, do some sit- ups, make Tiramisu, make bread, mow the lawn, organize your sock drawer, clean out the closets and donate unwanted clothing, play date, the fridge needs cleaning, go find a mountain and hike up it, yoga, play the guitar ( and if you don't play, learn), clean the tiles in the bathroom with a toothbrush,
This should keep you occupied until your husband comes home at 4pm.
One of these options is the best option. If you can think of more, please add to the list. Smile. Your life Thanks you Amanda
Old 07-26-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dismember

I agree. Do what you need to do for your safety and peace of mind.

And you're not doing something we don't all do to some degree. There are circumstances I wont put in that I know could jeapordize my sobriety. If this is a circumstance you need to avoid by stocking up and lending your keys, then so be it.

Take care of yourself too. Keep yourself safe, but don't let yourself go crazy either. Find something that relaxes you and enables you to put a step or two toward your recovery before you go in Monday. You can do this!
Old 07-26-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Haha thanks Mizzuno,

Yes there are several things on that list I already planned on doing. Knitting a sweater isn't one of them. I did promise my daughter we'd make pancakes in the morning. I also promised we'd go swimming. Another thing I love doing with her is coloring pictures in coloring books. There's something therapeutic in it. Hopefully my 10 month old cooperates. That seems to be the tough part. Balancing the two children. I rented some movies for my daughter to watch as well. I have tons of stuff to catch up on on the DVR (several of which are repeats of shows I don't remember as I was drunk). Ok, I feel better about the decision. Thanks also ananias and Bigsombrero!
Old 07-26-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've found it beneficial at night to come here & read what u guys have to say. It's relative to my situation and can be funny & entertaining. Main benefit is it distracts me for long enough until I get tired, resulting in me continuing to move forward for another day. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If it helps you then do it. Dowhat you have to do to stay sober.Enjoy your weekend.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Doesn't sound like a crutch...sounds like good planning to me.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Good idea

You need to do whatever it takes to get through the day and I don't think that giving him the keys is out of line at all.

Have a GREAT day with your kids!

You got this covered, Amandaw!
Old 07-26-2013, 11:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

it is a good idea were ever work for you to keep u sober.
I used my younger kids to stay busy on week ends and sometimes my grand daughter and now I got 75 days sober.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am into my 11th day without a drink and 8 of those days I came home after work 6pm and went straight to bed to nap for 2 hours..lt turns out subconsciously i knew that I usually drank at that time and needed help... Mind you I was sooo tired that I needed that nap... By around 830 I was up and the danger of wanting to go out was gone. See for about 3 years when I went out was usually right after work... So do whatever you have to stay sober safely and keep coming here...
Old 07-27-2013, 03:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Any steps you take honestly to remain sober is positive.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I'm with Nuudawn on this one, planning is KEY and that's exactly what you're doing. I think that's awesome!
Old 07-27-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good idea! Go for it. I believe you can make it to day 3. Hang in there!
Old 07-27-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow, thanks everyone! My husband just left and I gave him the keys. I have dinner going in the crock pot, and fed the baby breakfast. Now I'm on the floor with him in the family room while he plays with his toys. If I sit on the couch he gets mad, so I sit on the floor and he'll play even if I'm on the computer. Thanks again for the support!