Notices

Quitting Smoking

Old 07-26-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting Smoking

I am on Day 13 of no alcohol, and at 39 hours without a cigarette. I'm finding the cigarettes a lot more difficult since they were not just a nightly thing...they were an all the time thing. I can drink coffee without thinking of alcohol were drive a car without thinking of drinking...not so with smoking. I'm close to slipping and smoking one...but I know that will lead to more. My grandma had a heart-attack Tuesday (she made it), and they believe her smoking to be the culprit. Those are my genes too, and that is my motivation.

Anybody got any tips or words of wisdom? People are telling me not to give up cigarettes until I have more sober time. They advise small attainable goals, not a completely lifestyle transformation at once. But...I can be more miserable for a little while quitting both or drag this out and have a milder but longer lasting situation.

So yeah...

The stress of my grandma having the heart-attack isn't making it easy. I can't use that as an excuse though.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good for you for giving up both at once. I don't know that I'm that strong... You can do this. Did you know we have a smoking/nicotine forum here? It's near the bottom of the index page. Best of luck to you.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey all the best to you. I initially gave up both smoking and drinking at same time. Well, I had actually been on the darn patch off and on for like 3 years. I thought drinking was the reason I kept pulling off that patch after weeks not smoking. I thought when I sobered up I could wean off properly. Uh..ya...well apparently drinking wasn't my excuse for absolutely everything. I ripped off the patch one day stone cold sober. I been smoking ever since. Ceasing alcohol AND smoking is a pretty big shock to your brain chemistry so just be aware of that. I started Champix just this past Sunday. I can't seem to find the "ovaries " lol for a cold turkey quit...as I fear for my sobriety. Right now THAT is the most important thing. I do believe they're are people who successfully quit both. I'm taking the wimpier way with the Champix..but for me, that's right for my sobriety..since its a brain chemistry aid so to speak.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I have serial smoking quitter. 72 hours for the physical withdraw. Pretty rough 72 hours I usually lock myself in my house. It gets easier after that.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I quit nicotine about 4 years ago while I was still drinking. Honestly the first few days were probably worse than quitting alcohol with the cravings, but after a couple weeks it was MUCH easier than quitting drinking. Giving up both at once is a big challenge, but i know others have done it and you can do it if you put your mind to it - best of luck!
Old 07-26-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have tried to quit smoking since getting sober but felt like a basket case lol I am going to give myself more time BUT if you are ready you can certainly do this! People quit everyday
Old 07-26-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Quitting smoking was very difficult. You can stay out of liquor stores but they sell cigarettes in grocery stores and gas stations, it's just hard to avoid the opportunity to buy some. The patch has worked for me more than once, it helped me to break the habit first so I could work on breaking the addiction later. Habit + addiction was just too much inertia for me to handle.

Be strong!
Old 07-26-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I broke and smoked . I guess I'll just have to keep trying. Maybe two things at once wasn't the best idea. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
I broke and smoked . I guess I'll just have to keep trying. Maybe two things at once wasn't the best idea. Thanks everyone.
But you're still sober!!!! All pieces of "recovery" will come in due time. That's my motto and stickin' to it!
Old 07-26-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I quit both at once...and survived....but everyones different CM

D
Old 07-26-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have been off the wine for 24 days and off the cigarettes for 12. I felt so good off the drink that I wanted to rid myself of another toxin. Feels great and has been fairly easy tackling both. Loads of people said I wouldn't be able to do it. I showed them
Now I just need to cut down the new found chocolate habit
Old 07-26-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad to hear Grandma is O.K.
I stopped smoking 35 years ago (minor lapse +20 when I tried a few joints); found it very difficult to drink beer without smoking.
Fortunately stopping after a long period was not too hard, in my case.
I commend you on your efforts.
Have you joined the 24 hour no smokes thread here?

Nil alcohol 77 days
Old 07-27-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! Just joined the 24 hour no smoking thread.