Notices

Help

Old 07-25-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help

I'm running out of what to do so decided this form might work
My husband stop drinking for 71/2 yr then stated up again after he fell and broke his back. For past 2 yr it's been on & off. He went into rehab x 2 last yr
Was sober for 3 months now stated to drink on" what he thinks is in the side"
Like I can't tell!!!
Old 07-25-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello. Welcome to SR. We are here to give and receive support. Im wondering what you think you need to do in this situation? It sounds like you are at a breaking point? Sobriety only happens when we want it. Taking care of yourself is very important. Does your husband want to get sober?
Old 07-25-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dismember

Could you confront him with your knowledge of his "secret" drinking?

One things alcoholics do--something I did--was believe that if nobody knew then nobody got hurt. It made me think what I was doing was then okay. But clearly he's not hiding it (well) and what he's doing is not harmless--to himself or to you.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!! You may want to check out the Friends & Family forum/alcoholics as there are many there who know what you are going through.

This forum is great to "dip your toe in". I lurked here for quite a while, found many forums I "fit in" and have found tremendous support. I think you will find the same.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-26-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for support. Does he want to get sober- big question. I think he thinks he can control his drinking. He did for years and was very successful at his job,etc.
He knows I left him last year,that's when he went to rehab but he didn't find AA meetings worth much. Try a therapist who delt with alcoholics work for a while till he decided he could be an " ocasional " drinker. Everyone knows there is no such think for an alcoholic
Second rehab made him figure that out
Old 07-26-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Welcome to SR, Snickers3. May you find plenty of support here.

Yes, the great obsession of every alcoholic is that we can someday, somehow control our drinking again. What the alcoholic needs to not only realise but also accept is that alcoholism is a progressive disease. We may have been able to control our drinking before we crossed that line into alcoholic drinking, but now we can't. Your husband has to accept this for himself; no one can force him to see this. In the meantime, get all the support you can and take care of yourself.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Do take a look at the friends and family forum for additional insight from folks who have been in your shoes.

I hope your husband quits drinking, but in the meantime, get some support for yourself.