Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

Interesting paradox about traditional rehab takes on support programs

Old 07-25-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

When it comes to being in a hospital (or outpatient program) for drug and alcohol rehab, they typically say, "you need to do (insert traditional, non-secular support program here)." When one asks, "what are my other options?" The response often is, "you have no other options." When you protest and say, "hey, what about SMART recovery, or Lifering, or Rational Recovery?" They may say, "that's the addict talking" or question your commitment to quit.

Let's say you're in a hospital for cancer. When a doctor sees you, they recommend a course of treatment. Or, they recommend several, "you can go with this option with this track record of success, or you can go with this, or you can try this." If you bring up another kind of treatment you'd like to try, the doctor will discuss with you success rates and failure rates. They don't tell you, "that's the cancer talking." They most certainly don't denigrate you for wanting to explore different options.

Interesting, isn't it?
Old 07-25-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovered

My outpatient program had handouts for Mindful Recovery classes and LifeRing (as well as 12-step). They said that the IOP was just the beginning, and that we needed a plan to stay sober, whatever it was.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by mfanch View Post
My outpatient program had handouts for Mindful Recovery classes and LifeRing (as well as 12-step). They said that the IOP was just the beginning, and that we needed a plan to stay sober, whatever it was.
That sounds like a quality program.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovered

It was actually pivotal for me this time. I say this time as I have been to other IOPs, short-term, as well as long-term treatments (4 total over 18 years). This was by far the best program. It allowed me to implement my "plan" whilst still living at home. Using my community resources really gave me a strong start. That is hard to do when one is at an inpatient rehab 8 states away, KWIM?
Old 07-25-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
It appears that options are still limited in terms of addiction treatment, yes.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes I've had specific experience like this from the therapists at the last hospital I went to. They'd say 'are you going to meetings regularly?' (are we not meant to name it? Seems ridiculous). I'd say 'No' then they're like "well you're not willing to do whatever it takes!"

Why does 'whatever it takes' have to be a meeting every day?
Old 07-26-2013, 12:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by waterwagon View Post
Yes I've had specific experience like this from the therapists at the last hospital I went to. They'd say 'are you going to meetings regularly?' (are we not meant to name it? Seems ridiculous). I'd say 'No' then they're like "well you're not willing to do whatever it takes!"

Why does 'whatever it takes' have to be a meeting every day?
It doesn't. You can go to / check out a meeting if / when you care to; check out many many other options, and depending on your personality, blend them all into into a patchwork of recovery. It does take time - quite some time - to find your particular fit / bits of the patchwork that YOU feel will help you.

Just BE who you are. Who you are is not totally hidden from you. The booze might make it seem like it has been. But it's not - your own self has had a kind of cloud over him / her with drinking. But your own self still remains.

Hang about on here, see a therapist or addiction counsellor if you can or want to, meditate, etc etc. Hell, check out a coupla meetings and see how you feel. There are many ways (all at once) by which you can get sober. Then, staying sober is multifarious and / or erratic for some of us. It may not be so for you. I hope not!

But: this is my birthday thought for you: as long as you can stay out of danger to yourself and to others, you WILL make it Waterwagon. Sometimes, it's very wise to hear what others are saying.....and then to go back into yourself and ask: is this where I need to go? Maybe I should perhaps at least keep open minded? Other times, it's good to exercise your own inner judgement. But above all, don't be bullied. Just go with various things until any or each of them just seem 'right' to you, so you can stay sober.

I say this to you as if you were my own son / daughter. My own daughters are only a couple of years older than you. I'm The Drunk. I've got sober several times in Aussie rehabs / detoxes; and by myself at home; and have a patchy history of staying sober.

But: at least on SR, we can talk about this stuff. Keep talking about your experiences!
Old 07-26-2013, 12:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My IOP was AA based but supportive of me going to Women For Sobriety meetings. They were somewhat supportive of Sober Recovery but didn't take the forum that seriously, stressing the importance of actual physical attendance and social interaction.

But they certainly pushed AA meeting attendance and finding a sponsor. The reason they gave was that if people don't get in the habit of attending meetings during treatment, they are much less likely to go after treatment ends. And I can understand this thinking.

I do wish they'd made room for other recovery programs though. They would have gotten my trust immediately. But I was instead pressured to conform.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-26-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
The inpatient program I attended had lots of education on the brain and addiction, CBT, and other non 12 step stuff, but we had a mandatory daily AA or NA meeting and also direct instruction on "how to pray". I don't take any of that stuff too seriously and it didnt stick in my craw. It felt a little like passing the time, except that I was thankful for a situation where I had zero responsibilities for a month and I could regroup and dial my sh*t in after my "little breakdown". I already knew I wasnt ever going to drink again. It made my family more comfortable, so I did it for them. They deserved that from me.