Notices

Introducing myself

Old 07-25-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introducing myself

It's time to get sober and live a free life. I have it all and alcohol is about to destroy it if I don't get a handle on it and get OVER this.

I've been through the recovery process, but the emotions that have led me to drinking and other things that have haunted me all my life are still there. I need help. This is my first step.

So, hello....
Old 07-25-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Murano welcome all the great journeys begin with one little step. Congratulations on taking yours! Welcome I hope you find this place helpful it had been my life vest.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you. Have a lot to lose just can't stay sober! But people do get sober and you and I can too!
Old 07-25-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I appreciate it, thank you. It's hard for me to reach out since I'm the one people think has it all together. Lol.

Today is kind of day 3. After a terrible Sunday night drinking, I put myself to bed with Xanax for the last three days, ashamed of myself. This has got to stop. So here I am.

Really looking forward to this sober journey with y'all.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Murano! You've found a helpful and supportive place. We all understand just how you feel.

Don't be ashamed - be proud for reaching out (even though it's difficult). You are among friends. I came here in desperate shape 6 yrs. ago and never left - this community got me back on my feet and kept me there. You can do this.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Murano! There is a lot of information and support here.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Afternoon Murano ,
Sobriety gets better with time , stick with it ,

Bestwishes, m
Old 07-25-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome and please believe us that say it gets so much better if we don't pick up that first drink. Our chances get better in recovery one day at a time. At a certain point we get uneasy and ask "is that all there is?" Yes I found my ability to be comfortable in my own skin by joining and participating in AA and being very active in it. There is a great volume of help reading the posts here also. KEEP COMING AND BE WELL
Old 07-25-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Murana - you are not alone here

Congratulations on 3 days!!

Shells
Old 07-25-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

You are on the way....

... to the life YOU want! Congratulations on taking the first and hardest step by admitting that you have a problem.

Stick around, there is a TON of support here that is available whenever you need it.

Peace and Harmony to you.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome! You will get so much support here!
Old 07-25-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you so much. I'm tempted now even to sit out on the pier and have one. The only thing stopping me is that my husband is in town and he would be pissed. No feelings of wanting to be sober for myself, only of not wanting everyone to be angry at me.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's gotta get better...
Old 07-25-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Murano View Post
No feelings of wanting to be sober for myself, only of not wanting everyone to be angry at me.
Yikes...why not? Why do you not want sobriety? Something else you said resonated with me. Being the one thought of having it all together and not liking to reach out. I was that person. And for that person, alcohol is an easy, readily available, socially acceptable elixir for all that ails ya. But no problems get solved, ya just take a little "mind vacation" and return to the same old emotional squalor. Nothing is solved with alcohol..you're only hiding. And you're not keeping anything together. Somewhere along the line, I realized I was a coward. It takes guts to reach out because you face possible rejection. An air of authority or control..is simply air. We are humans..we err...and as humans we are relational people. We grow in relation to others and we die in isolation. Do you know what the worst punishment is for prisoners? Segregation. Even bad guys need people..lol. I used to do legal advocacy for prisoners. You have no idea what happens to the human psyche when it has spent months alone.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Murano! I hope you decide to make sobriety something you want, and not just something you need.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks. And what I mean is, at that very moment, nothing was stopping me except for my family getting angry. I want to want sobriety more than anything. I'm trying. I know I have a problem and I want to fix it. Baby steps.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

YOU CAN DO IT!! If you need support- there are countless ways to get whatever you need! Feel free to message! GOOD LUCK!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

A Big Murano
Old 07-25-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Murano View Post
Thanks. And what I mean is, at that very moment, nothing was stopping me except for my family getting angry. I want to want sobriety more than anything. I'm trying. I know I have a problem and I want to fix it. Baby steps.
My confidence in and with my sobriety continues to grow. There are precarious moments where rational thought is out the window..and whatever keeps you sober in that moment (e.g. family) is a lifeline worth grabbing. For me I only commit to the now...staying sober right "now". I face the situations that arrive with the now..as they come. I don't overwhelm myself with the future (as in will I or can I drink again?) as it's moot anyway. I'm only committing to right "now". I don't dwell on the past either. I cannot change it but if I stay sober I gotta good chance of not repeating the same mistakes.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome murano

D