Notices

my husband isn't being supportive

Old 07-24-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

my husband isn't being supportive

I texted my husband about the fact that I need help. He didn't respond. Then he came home yelling at me for being tipsy. I tried explaining I needed help and asked for it, but he refuses to acknowledge it. I need help. I need a detox that allows me to speak to my children on the phone and it helps me sleep. My issue is that I cant sleep so I drink. Then I can't sleep so I drink more and it continues. I seriously want to punch my husband for acting like father of the year when he constantly leaves me alone. I just want to detox for a few days. Get some time and sleep under my belt and go back to being a good mom

Will the hospital let me call my kids?
Old 07-24-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I said, you'll need to call the hospital and see what their policy is.

As for your husband, I'm not saying yelling at you is right because it's not, but I have to admit I know now I drove many people to breaking point with my drinking, Amanda.

I hope you'll call the hospital and find out what you need to know.
D
Old 07-24-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
I need a detox that allows me to speak to my children on the phone and it helps me sleep.
Sound like you could use detox and maybe some in-patient rehab. But don't set conditions that will impede the help you need. If they don't let you talk to your kids, they probably have a reason. So get the help you need.

As for your husband being supportive, he's probably at the end of his rope when it comes to support. You have to get sober regardless.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Amanda..hey...glad to read your post. I think it would be difficult for your husband to really hear those pleas...not drawn from sober lips. Doggonecarl is onto something there. I think when we put concessions or "buts" on our recovery... we're facing a losing battle. As Dee say...call the hospital and seek answers. I know you are in a painful place, but we have to reach a place of action from our puddle of tears. Ultimately, this is about you and getting better for you and your kids and your husband. Sweetie..it begins with you. It has to.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I also began drinking to help me sleep when I felt like my world was falling apart and I was losing control. What a mistake that was! Of course, it worked initially, but before long, I was hooked and there was no looking back.

I hope you can find a way to go to detox. If not, try talking to your dr and see what he advises.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you can't go to detox try asking your doctor for medical help in getting thru the w/d safely.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
I need a detox that allows me to speak to my children on the phone
Think about it, your little ones won't be speaking to you for a few days but they will have a sober mom, don't you think it's worth it?
Old 07-25-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My daughter's birthday is tomorrow. I can't bear leaving. I'm sober now. Things feel better. I just don't get how I hit all these bottoms and yet still allow myself to drink. I'm alone today. The kids are at daycare and I'm resting until my doctor's office opens
Old 07-25-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hang in there and try not to pick up that first drink even one minute at a time. Try reading a bunch of posts on how people get through a day without drinking. KEEP COMING AND BE WELL
Old 07-25-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Policies may differ from place to place, amandaw, but my husband spoke with me twice by phone during his 5 day detox. His personal phone was taken, of course, but there was a payphone there for personal use. Don't let that, of all things, prevent you from getting the help you feel you may need. And the fact that you broached the subject with your husband at all indicates that perhaps you truly do. I totally get were you're coming from, as far as the phone call goes, as I have children of my own. More importantly, however, take care of your kids' mom! And if you can't speak with them for several days, I believe it's a risk worth taking. Everything will be better for it in the end. :-) :-)