Notices

What to do?

Old 07-24-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to do?

First off I want to say I am glad I found this forum but also sad to be on it. So here is my story my mother is abusing prescription drugs and has been doing so for almost 5 years she recently fell and broke her hip and had surgery and all she has done since is complain and ask for medicine she is now in a rehab facility and they just started giving her the Tylenol 4 that is one of the pills she abuses and of course they only give it to her one every six hours so she is still struggling, I thought naively that maybe the accident was a blessing in disguise to get her some help also I called her pc doctor who prescribes the rx and told him that she was abusing the pills and he told my mom though I asked him not to reveal it was me and I am the only one of her three children assisting her and she would be angry and shut me out. Yesterday she called and went crazy berating my husband and me, Did I make a mistake telling her pc I have been begging my siblings for help as I knew she was spiraling out of control and wanted to get help before something happened and it has I just don't know what to do!
Old 07-24-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Unfortunately CL, only your mother can help herself and end the addiction. She may resent you for calling but in the end it's on her to end the addiction. As long as you remember that her getting better is the most important thing, then you need to just stick to your guns and be there if she asks for help.

You may want to consider Al Anon and the SR forum for family members of those with addictions. Best of luck and thanks for joining.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have had to deal with this in the past with my aunt. No, you did not make a mistake. Your mother is only blaming you because she doesn't want to blame herself. She'e not going to be able to stop her addiction until she hits her bottom either- and she probably isn't there yet. For now, all you can do is try to help her, but don't upset her too much. Stay strong- Let go and let god. Eventually it God will step in and help your mom.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't think you did wrong in telling the doctor, I think s/he was wrong in revealing your name. You told him in confidence and he broke it.

I hope your mother will decide to seek treatment for herself.