Notices

Has anyone tried tapering?

Old 07-24-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone tried tapering?

If so, has it worked? I am interested in success stories where instead of going cold turkey, a person tapers down to the point where you completely quit drinking and didn't relapse. I am trying this now and hoping it works. I went from 5 drinks the first night, to 4 drinks the second night, to 2.5 drinks last night. Also, I am increasing the hours between the last drink and first drink. Yesterday, I went 22 hours before I had my first drink. Longest I have ever gone!
Old 07-24-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're just playing a game against yourself here. I tried tapering and it absolutely did not work. A couple of years ago I was sober for about 9 months then thought I could start drinking, again, slowly - thought I had it under control (a sort of reverse tapering, if you will). Guess what happened? I began drinking heavier than I had in the past. That lasted for 9 months until I decided to stop cold turkey on August 20, 2012. My experience is that if you think you need to taper back, maybe it's time to quit altogether.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think most of us have tried it. Didn't even come close to working for me. If you can do 22 you can stop completely.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The problem for me was I couldn't taper as once I have one drink I want another and another so just not possible really. All or nothing for me
Old 07-24-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I never tried. There is no such thing for me. If I drink one I will drink it until I pass out.

There is no one or two and never has been.

The truth is if I tried that I would very frustrated and more so then when I just quit. Why torture myself for a week or two.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I want to completely quit drinking. The reason I am tapering is so I don't go through severe withdrawal symptoms. I am unemployed with no health insurance and detox would cost thousands. So I am self detoxing. I am interested in hearing about success stories regarding tapering down to nothing...not negative feedback about "it won't work." Every person is different. What works for some, may not work for others.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The problem with tapering is that at some point, you still end up going cold turkey. So it's not in place of cold turkey, it's just postponing cold turkey for a few more days. Additionally, when your goal is sobriety, it really doesn't matter if you drink 2 beers or 22 beers a day, you are still drinking.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
I never tried. There is no such thing for me. If I drink one I will drink it until I pass out.

There is no one or two and never has been.

The truth is if I tried that I would very frustrated and more so then when I just quit. Why torture myself for a week or two.
I have never drank until I passed out. The last 3 nights, I have set a goal of the number of drinks I would have and stop. I have achieved my goals so far. Last night my goal was 3 and I drank a little over 2 and stopped.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Then I applaud you.

I was just telling my experience. That is all I have to offer and share.

I hope it works for you.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

It's better to just stop. If you're worried about withdrawal, go and speak with your GP about affordable or free options. There's always a safe option; when it comes down to it, your doctor won't just leave you to risk your life withdrawing if they think you'll have severe symptoms.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Maybe this will help: I quit (without tapering) and did just fine; meaning I didn't even come close to admitting myself to a hospital. You aren't going to be able to avoid withdrawal symptoms, that's just not going to happen. I'm sorry this response is not all bright and shiny, but please don't confuse reality with "negative feedback." It just sounds to me like you are making excuses to keep on drinking. You are unemployed, no health insurance so detox would cost thousands. Hell, why not keep on drinking, then, to avoid any "severe withdrawal symptons?" I know this isn't what you want to hear, but believe me I've been there trying to rationalize drinking. I wish you all the luck in whatever you decide to do.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Why do you think you need to taper before you quit? Just wonderingyour thought process really. I haven't really tried it but I have had about 11,000 "last drinks". It's, for me, a mind game because as long as today isn't the day I have to quit I'm good. No worries, tomorrow I will quit and I honestly think that. Today's is another day one so let's see if I'm finally ready to stop making excuses.

Think about why you want to quit and why if you feel you need to quit that you are romancing the booze. Sorry if I'm projecting. Honestly how ever you get there doesn't matter as long as you actually get there. I'm sure you will hear from tons of people that have tried and failed to control their drinking. If you think tapering will help make it easier I personally don't think it will but maybe it will mentally prepare you. Shrugh....You will still have to walk the road to sobriety.

Good luck I'm rooting for you!
Old 07-24-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Louise82 View Post
It's better to just stop. If you're worried about withdrawal, go and speak with your GP about affordable or free options. There's always a safe option; when it comes down to it, your doctor won't just leave you to risk your life withdrawing if they think you'll have severe symptoms.
I have talked to my doctor as well as about 50 different hotlines seeking free or affordable detox. There are none available! That's why I decided to try to taper instead of just going cold turkey. I think if I can get down to one drink in a 24 hour period, I won't have any serious medical issues once I completely quit.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Okay I must type slow lol a lot of people posted before I was finished typing. Might I ask why you think you will have severe withdrawal symptoms?
Old 07-24-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Eleni58 View Post
I want to completely quit drinking. The reason I am tapering is so I don't go through severe withdrawal symptoms. I am unemployed with no health insurance and detox would cost thousands. So I am self detoxing. I am interested in hearing about success stories regarding tapering down to nothing...not negative feedback about "it won't work." Every person is different. What works for some, may not work for others.
You are correct that every person is different. And there may be some who can "taper off" successfully to CUT DOWN on their drinking. But what does not vary is that even at the end of a successful taper, you still go cold turkey. And withdrawal symptoms ( even severe ones ) are still possible. You will stilll be detoxing on the first day after your taper ends the same as if you just quit today after having 3 drinks.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Those medical issues may still be there whether you taper or not. If you are already down to less that 3 and are not having severe withdrawals, you may want to try none for day and see where that leads.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Originally Posted by Eleni58 View Post
I have talked to my doctor as well as about 50 different hotlines seeking free or affordable detox. There are none available! That's why I decided to try to taper instead of just going cold turkey. I think if I can get down to one drink in a 24 hour period, I won't have any serious medical issues once I completely quit.
Ok, I see. Can your doctor not give you any advice for stopping completely or give you medication to help manage the withdrawals? I just think stopping at once under your doctor's medical supervision is a safer bet than trying to taper.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Not sure if I ever tried tapering myself; and actually up until I started posting the first time before my Week long binge in my home town; I never even considered quiting on a serious level .. But after my week long binge; by the time I got back in my "home" state; I started the shakes and it scared me, so I did by a flat bottle and nursed it for 24hours to take the edge off; but once that was gone I was done .. That was 35+ days ago .. I stopped counting :p Too much pressure for me right now lol
Old 07-24-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think it could work for people with extreme self control. Like my best friend...she thought she was drinking too much and had the potential of it becoming a problem, so she just stopped. Just like that... it was so annoying!

I can't taper. Like others said, once I have 1 drink, it's on!
Old 07-24-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am all alone during the week. My boyfriend is a trucker and will be home over the weekend. That is when I will try to taper down to zero--so he is here in case anything happens. Dr won't give me meds unless I am admitted for observation to see if I would actually "need" them.