Notices

Day 5. My willpower is slipping.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5. My willpower is slipping.

I decided I'd post on here because my resolve is weakening.

I'm on day 5 of sobriety. Despite the initial cravings and such, I had a sense of elation for the last few days, because I'd finally begun to work on my problem. Now that the initial sense of "I can do anything" has worn off, I find myself thinking: "Surely it wouldn't hurt to go for 3 or 4 beers tonight with the guys" and "Maybe total sobriety is too much. I could stay off the drink but buy a bag of weed today instead".

Does anyone have any coping mechanisms for thoughts like these? Any help would be appreciated. I decided to post here because there's no-one I can really talk to in person about this.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

A pretty good list of coping mechanisms is posted here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I have a voice in my head telling me those pretty lies, too. It never works out when I listen to it. Best of Luck!
Old 07-24-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Bombadil, 5 days sober? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. My coping mechanism was just suffering through the cravings and temptations which lasted for quite a while and now I'm 3 years sober. Rootin for ya.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yea I was the same way.
The struggle is to keep occupied. Occupied with activities that do not involve drinking or blazing. I spent 3 months off both weed and alcohol, I'm not going to lie, I smoked the weed after I passed my first Drug test at work (I failed 5 from MJ). I somewhat regret it as I kind of ruined my 3 month complete sobriety.
My main goal is to never drink again and I still have that.
Don't do it!!!
Don’t drink and do your best not to blaze either.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Those lies can be lessened by being honest with your self and as they say in AA "REMEMBER WHEN" the pit you were in is waiting along with the many pitfalls alcohol puts in our path. I needed the flesh meetings of AA along with the facial expressions and contact of people in my area. This site has very good suggestions if more than one post is read and suggestions are followed. It goes without saying that if we don't pick up the first drink we don't have to TRY to get sober AGAIN. BE WELL
Old 07-24-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

I know exactly what you mean about that voice in your head telling you that it would be okay to drink or use moderately. It even sounds like your voice! But it isn't. Every time you hear that voice, use YOUR voice to remind yourself that the voice trying to bargain for a buzz is NOT your voice, nor is the thought that is driving it yours. That is what addiction sounds like. It has to be ignored, completely, for sobriety to work. And it will pass - not all at once, but those thoughts will happen less frequently and the more sober time you put under your belt the easier it will get to ignore that voice. I guarantee you this is true.

In the meantime, do something, anything, when that voice arises. Go to the gym or go for a run or a bike ride or do some pushups or whatever you do for exercise. Come here and talk to others in recovery or go to an AA meeting. Take up a new hobby, something you never did when you were drinking or getting high. Or go volunteer and do something positive for someone else in need. The best thing you can do when those thoughts are attacking you is to get out of your own head and DO something.

Best of luck to you. Stick with it.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

One of the things I like to do is go back and read my earlier posts when ever temptation strikes me. Especially the ones where I am feeling good about winning my battle with the beast. With time, my AV has lost its ability to get my attention. Give it some time but keep your guard up.

Another thing I do is exercise and try to keep busy.

Coming to SR and reading stories of other folks who have struggled with the 'maybe I can have just a couple' syndrome always helps too.

Stay on point and good things will come your way.

Congratulations on making it to day 5!
Old 07-24-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Congratulations on 5 days
Lots of good suggestions on this thread. It will get better and easier as time goes by, I promise but if you pick up, you will be back at square one (if you ever make it back).
Going to face to face meeting is a great idea. Also look up AVRT it gives you techniques to deal with that nasty little addictive voice/
Old 07-24-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

On day 5 here as well Bombadil. I feel exactly the same way.

Besides sleep I haven't had all that hard of a time with this. So naturally I begin to trick myself into thinking I can manage this. Was my problem really that bad.

I just need to think back a week ago and remember why I started this in the first place.

Somehow must find resolve to stay committed.

Going to an SF Giants game tonight. That should present quite the challenge.

Wishing you luck!!!
Old 07-24-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is completely normal from what I've seen. I'm experiencing it myself and I'm on day 7. Stay strong and congrats on day 5. It gets easier. Day 7 is even easier than Day 5, in my opinion. Keep going, you can do it
Old 07-24-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Congratulations on 5 days
Lots of good suggestions on this thread. It will get better and easier as time goes by, I promise but if you pick up, you will be back at square one (if you ever make it back).
Going to face to face meeting is a great idea. Also look up AVRT it gives you techniques to deal with that nasty little addictive voice/
Try to remember that nasty BIG AV is with us for a long, long time. The more it seems in the distance the more we become unaware of it's presence and then bang it's there telling us some false "it's OK" message. BE WELL
Old 07-24-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post

Does anyone have any coping mechanisms for thoughts like these? Any help would be appreciated. I decided to post here because there's no-one I can really talk to in person about this.
Right now this is my coping mechinism ... Hang in there it does get better .. I found out today I am stronger then I thought; as I am sure you are as well .. Just focus on other things .. How positive you been feeling, thinking and such while sober .. Make a Pizzer lol Read Got some lego's ?? Anything to keep your mind occupied on something else .. Good Luck ..
Old 07-24-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AugustWest11 View Post
Right now this is my coping mechinism ... Hang in there it does get better .. I found out today I am stronger then I thought; as I am sure you are as well .. Just focus on other things .. How positive you been feeling, thinking and such while sober .. Make a Pizzer lol Read Got some lego's ?? Anything to keep your mind occupied on something else .. Good Luck ..
I love LEGO
Old 07-24-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by visch1 View Post
Try to remember that nasty BIG AV is with us for a long, long time. The more it seems in the distance the more we become unaware of it's presence and then bang it's there telling us some false "it's OK" message. BE WELL
Yes, I ve been there. This is why I also go to AA and to WFS and why I work the steps. TAKE CARE
Old 07-24-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

5 days sober is awesome! I get these exact same thoughts all the time! I'm told its the ol booze brain talkin! I've been working out when I start getting those thoughts! Helps!
Old 07-24-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

5 days is a fantastic achievement.

just remember it's a little, powerless, weaselly voice that wants you to drink. you don't have to listen to it. mine nagged away at me for the first couple of weeks but i buried it in ice cream and it doesn't seem to want to play so much anymore.

re-reading your first post on here was recommended to me when i was struggling (as i no doubt will again) and it really helps with perspective.

just keep on keeping on. you and the other newbies are doing great. i'm still a newbie myself, and i still rely on the support from SR a lot...
Old 07-24-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

5 days is great.You've so done the right thing coming here when those thoughts occur.

Urge surfing has worked wonders for me and I'd recommend just giving it a try. The cravings are actually only a few minutes (though do seem like hours)

What is Urge Surfing?

Urge Surfing – Relapse Prevention – Mindfulness
Old 07-24-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone.

Took some of your advice and went for a run. The desire to get intoxicated has subsided. Looks like I'll see day 6 of sobriety.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Great job
Bombadil
AV
Old 07-24-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

"just remember it's a little, powerless, weaselly voice that wants you to drink. you don't have to listen to it."

OMG! It is the most powerful force that causes alcoholics to relapse, both newcomers and old timers. The best thing is to be aware that it can strike at any moment. True you don't have to listen to it if your prepared and well grounded mentally which is not usually an alcoholics strong point. BE WELL