Notices

New to Recovery

Old 07-24-2013, 01:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to Recovery

Hello everyone

I don't know where to start so I will just be as honest and clear as possible.

I have developed Alcoholism over the last couple of years. In the months before my 21st birthday I drank about once a week, hanging out with friends, and sometimes alone.

When I turned 21 (almost exactly a year ago, turned 22 this week) EVERYONE was intent on drinking with me, people came and took me out to bars, showed up to my house with Liquor and Beer. I really enjoyed it and had a lot of fun, and got a taste for it.

It's hard to think of when it became a very very regular thing, but I can say that since then I've been drinking more than once a week, and since probably late February of this year I've been drinking every day, with maybe a day without it here and there, but they don't seem to be common at all.

I also work very odd hours, so it is hard for me to keep track of when I'm doing it and how often (I can't say "I drink every evening and then go to bed" for example), but it has been everyday and it is becoming more constant, and I am thinking about it a lot. I also know that the odd hours paired with lots of drinking is probably hurting my health more than I realize.

Anyway, I have not talked about this with people, and I know there are all sorts of cases, but what I am aware of is that I have become dependent on Alcohol, I want to stop, and I'm thinking it would be much easier if I can find support from others who understand and support them as well.

I will be starting school next month, as well as continuing work, I have good opportunities, but it will be hard to balance school and work. I want to make a good life for myself, and I see that my drinking is a direct threat to that.

I drink alcohol every day--sometimes multiple times, it is hurting my health, my relationship to others, it is threatening my future, and I want to stop before it gets worse!

Whew! I said it!
Old 07-24-2013, 01:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! There is a lot of information and support here.

Do you have any sort of plan in mind? For me I have to take it one day at a time. I was a daily drinker too. So I take my recovery daily as well.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, this is a great place to start!
Old 07-24-2013, 02:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome! Awesome that you're trying to get this problem under control so early. I went decades before getting serious.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

as it's unusual and fortunate to catch an alcohol problem at this stage. Perhaps stopping will be easier than most for you. The bottom line is NOT to pick up the first drink under ANY circumstances. I attend AA to maintain sobriety and quit a few post helpful advice on these pages. This is the internet so there is some salt around. BE WELL
Old 07-24-2013, 04:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you guys for making me feel welcome.

I didn't realize that stopping this soon would be an uncommon thing. I can see that my habit is escalating quickly, I know that this can bring serious problems, and I'm really not trying to wait and find out what happens.

GracieLou, I don't have any plan at the moment, I don't really know how to start with that. The last time I was drank was about 20 hours ago, and I do feel a general urge to have a beer right now, it isn't strong, but I'm thinking it will be stronger sooner or later.

Are there any mental techniques, or any techniques at all that anyone finds helpful to fight the urge? I don't know how strong it's going to get, because usually I just feed the urge.

visch1, there is an open AA meeting just down the road from me (behind the local ABC store ironically, I guess it's easy for us to find! though they are held after the store is closed) which I plan on going to if I really start to feel bad.

I live in a small town in North Carolina where drinking is a pretty common thing. Also, I work in a convenience store, and people buy beer all the time, and lots of locals come in drunk. I think this has boosted my own drinking because I see and talk to heavy drinkers every night I am working. I think this might be hard if I stop because I stock and sell beer regularly.

Thank you guys!
Old 07-24-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I'm in a similar situation to you. I'm 21. It can be hard to admit to people that you think you have a drinking problem at our age. It can be embarrassing. Many people are under the impression that you can't be an alcoholic until you're "properly grown up". I recently realised that it was the stupid alcohol that was preventing me from growing up properly!

I've been on these forums for a few days and they're a great place to vent and reassure yourself that you're not alone. Hope you enjoy your stay.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In case you don't know an open meeting is open to ALL. If it is a discussion meeting and goes by turns, you have an accepted option of just saying I'll pass or listen. BE WELL
Old 07-25-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Bombadil (Tom Bombadil from the Hobbit book?) I used to think that too, that I didn't have anything to worry about because I wasn't going to become and alcoholic anytime soon--I'm young!. That's how cigarettes will get you, few people smoking their first cigarette thinks they will become a regular smoker. That got me even younger, and now with Alcohol I'm fooling myself twice.

visch1, I did not know that you could pass, good to know thank you.

Almost two days without a drink, and I'm not doing too bad. I often think about going to buy it just randomly like always, then I get a bit of a scared sort of feeling for about half a second when I realize that I've decided not to do that, and I can put it out of my mind, but other than that just an underlying feeling of wanting sedation.