Notices

Ha

Old 07-24-2013, 01:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ha

Heading into day 4 and still can't sleep but suddenly have an appetite. I have had nothing but a little soup and a piece of bread for the last three days. Oh, and about 50 gallons of water so, guess what? I am making myself a pizza at 3 A.M.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm jealous :p Congrats on Day 4 I know they can be rough early on ..
Old 07-24-2013, 01:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 4!

That is good you have an appetite. I did not have one for a while and I find now it still comes and goes.

Eat up
Old 07-24-2013, 01:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That might have been a little over ambitious. More because I think the first 2 days of detox I really irritated the lining of my esophagus and even my mouth with all of the vomiting. Tomato sauce was probably not a great choice I did get down a few pieces though.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day four. Hope you are feeling better. Hang in there, we are here for you.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can't sleep either. Day 1 behind me. Day 2 and I'm just waiting for my daughter to wake up to feed her. I close my eyes and its just shame and 'what ifs x happened" I have scared myself so badly. I never thought I'd get here. I just want to be a good mom and good wife. I want my family to be proud of me and if they knew what I'd done the last three days they'd be horrified (and leave me). Today I will not drink. Ill be back on the site throughout the day, it's keeping me going.

I managed to get some pizza down tonight too. Like you, It didn't hit the spot.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Aw, I am sure your family will be very proud when you kick this nasty addiction. Hang in there, you can do it. My detox was extremely bad and if I can do it you can do. Just look at that child's face for inspiration!
Old 07-24-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Babs78756 View Post
I can't sleep either. Day 1 behind me. Day 2 and I'm just waiting for my daughter to wake up to feed her. I close my eyes and its just shame and 'what ifs x happened" I have scared myself so badly. I never thought I'd get here. I just want to be a good mom and good wife. I want my family to be proud of me and if they knew what I'd done the last three days they'd be horrified (and leave me). Today I will not drink. Ill be back on the site throughout the day, it's keeping me going.

I managed to get some pizza down tonight too. Like you, It didn't hit the spot.
Congratulations. Usually I say that our biggest motivation for sobriety is selfishly for our selves. A huge benefit is having children growing in a non alcohol atmosphere as they learn so much by observation which lasts a lifetime. I still go to AA and so many people say that when they were growing up they'll never be like an alcohol drinking parent and end up just like them. BE WELL
Old 07-24-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Trooper and Babs! Congratulations on your beginnings!

The first few days were the hardest for me. I had to take it an hour or a minute at a time and felt like I was ready to explode out of my skin.

Today I have 6 weeks sober and while there have been ups and downs I have generally been feeling better as time goes by. Yesterday was the first day that I felt I was mentally 100% at my job.

Hang in there, there are good days in your near future if you can just hold on for them.

Do either of you have a plan for how you are going to get sober? There's no way I could do this without help. I'm going to AA for my recovery but there are other programs like RR and Smart Recovery that other people on this site use with some success. Reading the experiences of others on this site make it clear that those who have a program of recovery are more likely to stay sober than those who try to do it on their own.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Snipe, I head to my first AA meeting in a few hours. Have not felt well enough up until now and, even now, do not feel so great. They certainly will not be seeing me at my best.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Pizza sounds awesome! Congrats on day 4! You've got this!
Old 07-24-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have decided to not go cold turkey but taper instead. I think going cold turkey is too much of a shock to the system. I am down to 2.5 drinks and doing well. I found that the less I drink the hungrier I am and the more I eat. I believe I have the self discipline to taper down to zero and not relapse. But what works for me may not work for others. Good luck!
Old 07-24-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have a therapist that I see and we,be increased our sessions. I have been to AA before and not sure it's really clicking with me. I know there are other groups out there? My therapist also holds a spoort group therapy for moms and I'm going to begin to attend those as well. I feel like I need all around support from those in a similar situation for awhile. The stresses and feelings of new motherhood and all that it brings up from my own childhood are what triggers my drinking.... Even today I found myself thinking "no one knows that an alcoholic. I'm sure people just think I look like a normal mom. I could meet some friends for drinks?!" A split second thought that I was shocked to have... Day 2. Day 2.