Notices

just signed up for IOP today

Old 07-24-2013, 12:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

just signed up for IOP today

Just signed up for IOP today at a local rehab. Been down the recovery road before but quite hopeful about this. I honestly would have checked myself inpatient if I thought my family could handle it, but that just isn't a possibility right now.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you, when do you start? I hope this is the answer to your prayers.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Start on Thursday I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a great attitude, no doubt you will be successful. I, on the other hand, am going to my first AA meeting tomorrow and am scared to death.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No need to be afraid of AA'ers, Troop, we don't bite. You can say you're just there to listen if you don't feel like commenting. I hope it's good for you....saved my life.

Good luck, keep coming back here!

Good luck in IOP, jstar!
Old 07-24-2013, 01:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think it is more the walking in alone part. Also, am told this is a big meeting, 45 to 50 people usually. I have a strange question, what if you see someone you know? I actually thought about finding a meeting further from my house, however, I am still not feeling all that well so the thought of being in the car for a long time is not all that appealing.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What happens and who you see in AA, stays in AA. They may introduce themselves or they may not say a word. It does not really matter. You are both there for the same reason.

If you do not want to go alone you can contact your local intergroup office and they can arrange for someone to meet you or even pick you up and take you.

I did just that. I called AA and they got me in contact with a lady and she picked me up, took me to the meeting and dropped me off. That is part of the fellowship. We do not have to do it alone.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the quick response. I will be fine going in alone, it just is a little daunting. Since I can't sleep I may go to the 6:30 AM meeting and talk to the nice, older gentleman I spoke with when I called.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good luck in IOP, JStar. I entered a program last September and it was the best decision I've ever made. I'm over 10 months in my recovery, and I credit the tools and insight I gained in IOP for my success so far. Keep an open mind, be truthful to yourself and open yourself up to others - those were the keys for me. I hope you have success. Keep us posted!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good luck to you jstar! I haven't been to iop but lots of people here who have say good things about it, from what I've read. How long will it be?
Old 07-24-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement its an 8 week program, 3 nights a week and 1 of the 3 nights is "family night" & my husband agreed to go with me...which I am really, really grateful for.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trooper13 View Post
What a great attitude, no doubt you will be successful. I, on the other hand, am going to my first AA meeting tomorrow and am scared to death.
Don't worry about AA what I've found at AA is that most people are friendly and just remember everyone is there for the same reason you are. ..to get sober. Lean on the old-timers, ask them to suggest meetings to go to. Big meetings can be intimidating at first, but for me I've grown to love them. There is such comfort in knowing that I'm not alone in this struggle. I was scared at first too to go to AA, but once I started listening to people share at meetings & I found I could relate to so many people, I knew I was in the right place good luck to ya trooper!
Old 07-24-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ooh, even better! That your husband will go on family night that is. Goodness knows there's enough crazy flying around with these situations he could greatly benefit too Keep us posted on how things go!
Old 07-24-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good for you, JStar! I am so happy you're giving it another go as I know you are going to lick this thing. Whatever it takes, it takes, and you've totally go the right attitude about continuing to try.

Let us know how it goes!!
Old 07-24-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i started my program today. i really enjoyed it, but i am fried now.

and, there on the wall in the group room, was a big poster advertising SR!! i bigged it up as well. i was like a proud parent!
Old 07-24-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to hear jstar - I think it's a good choice

D
Old 07-24-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

An exciting new chance to put all the misery behind you jstar! Very glad to hear the good news.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sounds like a great plan Good that your husband is going to family day. My husband did that too. It meant a lot to me.

Let us know how it goes. I did a 20 day program, 3 hrs per day. It was just the thing I needed at that point in my life. I got so much out of it, and made a few new friends too.