Notices

going outside my comfort zone to stay sober..

Old 07-23-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

going outside my comfort zone to stay sober..

Iam going to an addiction therapist today and iam nervous as hell its something that I would stay well clear off but it got my thinking that maybe its my addiction that does not want me to go, I mean it must be happy with the place iam at now relapsing every week?? so as of today I will do what ever I need to do and if I feel uncomfortable or scared I will take it that iam on the right path because I need to change...
Old 07-23-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

so as of today I will do what ever I need to do and if I feel uncomfortable or scared I will take it that iam on the right path because I need to change...

Bestwishes, m
Old 07-23-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hope it goes well. i start treatment tomorrow - group therapy - and am terrified...
Old 07-23-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Addiction is comfortable (even when it's ruining our lives). Recovery needs to be uncomfortable sometimes, particularly in the beginning.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. I think you have made a very wise decision. Its good to see this post Lion
Old 07-23-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

These are the times in which we grow! I'm uncomfortable as all hell this week but its because I made choices for the good of my recovery & I'm not used to taking care of myself. You're taking a big step & I'm proud of you
Old 07-23-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

New stuff is always a little scary for a lot of us and the anxiety from early sobriety doesn't help. Maybe it helps a little to plan something you like afterwards, like a good meal of your favorite foods, or a nice walk/run at a lake, or maybe take in a movie. That way you're looking past whatever it is that you're anxious about; instead of focusing on it and letting it loom large in your mind it's just a semi-unpleasant blip in an otherwise pretty kick-ass day.

Also just keep repeating this phrase to yourself: "I'm pretty sure it won't kill me"

90% of the time you look back afterwards and say, "geez why did I even worry? that was actually pretty cool" so keep that in mind
Old 07-23-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Best of Luck Lionhearted. Good things in life do not come easy, and sobriety is no different. Hopefully seeing the therapist will help you figure out a plan. No matter what happens though, remember that sobriety IS attainable, no matter how uncomfortable it may seem at any given moment.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Thanks guys for the great replies as usual... It is probably one of the best things I have done for myself in a long long while... It was so nice to let it all out and not feel judged or worried..I walked out of the feeling happy and full of positivity for the future.

Today is a good day..
Old 07-23-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lion -
Therapy can be a really good thing. Funny you should mention going outside of your comfort zone. My therapist pointed out that getting sober means going out on MY comfort zone.
I've built up this drunk lifestyle and to leave it behind means I'm going to have to be uncomfortable for a while.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I am so glad this was positive for you. Getting a alcohol counsellor was the best thing I ever did. I've told him things I've never told anyone and it was so good to beable to let those secrets go. He really helped me get on the right path so that I could work on staying sober.