Notices

Help me understand

Old 07-22-2013, 09:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help me understand

Hi!!! I'm not sure where to begin. I am woman dating a recovering alcoholic of 12 yrs who drinks herself. I never drink around him and when I do drink it's not to get drunk. He is terrified since he moved here to Florida and left his support system of 12 yrs up north. All I wanna do is to be part of his support system here and help relieve some of his fears. I don't know how for he is extremely confusing. Please help me help him.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Welcome,
I would encourage you to help him find meetings. I am glad to read that you are supportive of him!
Old 07-22-2013, 09:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

AA Space Coast - Brevard Intergroup Inc.

Meeting List Your Area, give it to him. He will need to rebuild his own support group. Just love him and pray for him but he needs other recovering alkies. tell him about this site.!
Old 07-23-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by earthsteps View Post
Welcome,
I would encourage you to help him find meetings. I am glad to read that you are supportive of him!
Hey Thanks for the reply's. He does go to meetings. A lot of them. If he's not on the road driving truck he's at a meeting. He's terrified cause he doesn't make friends very easy, does not trust and so scared that if he gets in a bad spot there's no one to catch him. I'm the first girl he has ever dated not in the program. I scared for him. His whole support system is up North. His home etc. He rents here and has nothing of his own. He's so lost and I wanna help and understand.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

In no way is his recovery or sobriety on you, but if it's not a hardship for you to not drink while you are with him, and not go out with alcohol on your breath (as in having had a drink before seeing him) I would find that sort of thing a big help.

It was frustrating to me when my bf smelled like beer.