Notices

How often do you go to meetings in the beginning???

Old 07-22-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How often do you go to meetings in the beginning???

So I am wondering how often everyone goes to meetings in the beginning of not drinking...I have gone days not drinking before AA which I only started last night. I went last PM and then again at noon today with a nice lady I met Sunday pm...we are going again to a different one tonight. Both were different meeting formats. I am going again tonight to keep me focused...do I need that? My boyfriend left on a trip today with friends and his son despite me going through all this so I am stuck alone to my thoughts. ugh
Still sad, anxious, thirsty and sweating.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I say go as often as you are comfortable with going, get plenty of numbers and learn from those who have attained recovery. Early recovery is a real roller coaster. While it's one thing to hear it here, it's another to hear it in person.

Be strong.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I say go as often as you are comfortable with going
I say the same. It's great to hear you are taking your sobriety seriously and taking control of your recovery. All the best to you and welcome.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What Carl said. Whatever you're comfortable with.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What the others have said... as much or as little as you feel comfortable with. It's what I did. I did a 20 day IOP that took up 3 hours a day. After that, I probably went to about 2-3 meetings a week and have recently cut out most of the meetings, except for two that I like the most. I'm happy with that. I usually do 1-2 a week now. So whatever makes you feel "supported" should be fine. And then, some like to get into service work or volunteering at some point...
Old 07-22-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

go to as many as you can! I went ever day for almost a year now im down to a couple a week get in the habit of going so ya know where to go when things get tricky! and be gentle to yourself
Old 07-22-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

My plan right now is at least one a day for the foreseeable future, though I was able to make two yesterday and will probably make two a day for the next two days. As I posted elsewhere, I'm starting a new restaurant job on Thursday. That's probably going to involve some days of split lunch and dinner shifts which means I'm going to have make meetings at seven in the morning if I want to keep up one a day. THAT will be a test.

But I'll also say this--I've been guilty in past attempts at sobriety in setting up all these daily goals for myself, ie go to a meeting every day, do so much writing every day, read such and such every day, go running for x number of miles daily, lift weights for x number of minutes daily, etc. When I wouldn't meet one of those goals, it gave me an excuse to say, "Well, if I can't meet one of my goals, this whole day is a waste so I might as well forget all this and it's time to drink." And if I was going to go out drinking for the first time after x number of days without, I might as well just get absolutely hammered. It's a vicious cycle. I'm not doing that this time. My only daily absolute goal is stay sober just for today. If I don't make a meeting, there will be another one tomorrow.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EndGame

I went pretty much every day in early sobriety, sometimes more than once each day. I needed to feel safe and less crazy than I was on my own. This truly helped me through the early days, weeks and months. The few times I decided to stay home, I could rarely sit still in my own skin, and would just pick myself up and go. None of that crazy analyzing about which meeting, whether I'll be late or on time, who would be there, what I should wear...on and on. I just shut it off and went. Always a good choice.

Living in Manhattan, there were plenty of meetings every day and night, many of which were in walking distance. I often felt relieved just knowing I could go to a meeting whenever I wanted or needed to go.

What turned out to be my schedule also allowed me to begin to trust myself and other people. It was a good defense against tortured isolation and fear.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

I just hit 30 days and I go to meetings once a day.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am still pretty early in my recovery and what others on here are saying is true. I will say this: The only one who knows you, is you! I have to comfortable to be uncomfortable. Meaning, I have to attend enough meetings that makes me comfortable to stand yet not get overwhelmed with nothing but meetings. I have to be uncomfortable to step out and admit step one, two, three and continue on in my recovery. Keep comin back... It works if you work it...
Old 07-22-2013, 09:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

It's interesting no one has done the "you need to do 90 in 90" thing yet.

I have been averaging about 3-4 per week of Lifering meetings (I'm 50+ days sober). I would go to more if I had the time - but I do have lots of other responsibilities... kids, job, etc.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
willingness is the key!

Talking

They say 90 meetings and 90 days. I attended a meeting before and after work everyday for 1 year, and still attend meetings on a regular basis. For me meetings are a must for my sobriety and spiritual condition. Meetings are like medicine for me, like reading the big book, steps, 4, 10, 11, and 12, and calling my sponsor. Even with almost 2 years of sobriety I'm still working on my fear, and anxiety of sharing in front of people. Go as often as you need! You will be okay!
Old 07-22-2013, 10:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm around 251 days into recovery. I'm still new, and I just love going to a meeting a day. There are different types of meetings. After time, I've made some friends. I attend different meetings too at different locations. I do agree with everybody, do what fits you.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

My wife and I tried to do ninety meetings in our first ninety days of sobriety, just because we had heard it was a good thing to do. And I guess you could say it worked for both of us.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I definately feel it if I don't go to any of my meetings. I did daytox in the beginning which was a 4 - 6 weeks program. You could go everyday from from 7:00 am - 6:00 pm.

It gave me something to do while I was off work.

I go to WFS meetings on Monday, I was going to SMART but have decided I am going to focus on WFS and AA. I now go to AA every Saturday night and step meetings Thursday afternoons.

Like everyone said, whatever works for you and what feels comfortable. One of my friends went 2 - 3 meetings a day when he first quit.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone....ColdFusion, was it good for you to get sober, meetings etc together?
Old 07-23-2013, 03:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

I agree that you should do what you're comfortable with. Also take your circumstances into account, while continuing to put recovery first. I'm averaging one a day, which I can do as I'm self-employed and can therefore be flexible. I also feel like I need one a day at the moment. But my sponsor did up to a 4 meetings a day when she got sober 21 years ago, because she was lonely and unemployed.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi. I go against the flow lots of times as I see a lot of misinformation passed along particularly from newcomers who for the most part don't have much of a clue, forget experience. I know many think and act as if we have answers that are really individual suited. To me "as many as COMFORTABLE with" is a great way for many with alcoholic tendencies to feel I'm ok and don't need to go. Hold on! we're not trying on shoes for comfort, this is a life savings progress and starts with not drinking and then work on RECOVERY which is long term and sure is needed because our thinking under the influence of the wonderful toxic stuff we put into our bodies is twisted. How many is as many as you need and then more. I may be sicker than others but still after 30+ years go to 3-5 a week.
Please let us not to forget the shite fairy trying to direct our thoughts and feelings as it takes time to try to overcome it also. BE WELL
Old 07-23-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Dismember

Visch1. Only 3-5? I can't believe you don't do 15! Are you really that confident in 30+ that you take days off? How often in your drinking did you do that?

I think that's the idea of what people mean by comfort. AA is not something that gets more effective by the number of meetings you attend.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

For my first month I went to 2 meetings per day. Second month 1 meeting per day, 3rd month 1-2 per week. I presume I will cut that back to once a week soon however if I have the slightest thought that "i should be going" - I Go.
If I was unemployed I would probably go to more.