Notices

Finally admitting I have a problem.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally admitting I have a problem.

Hi all, will try to keep this short as possible.. I've been reading the boards for a couple of weeks now and finally plucked up the courage to post.. I feel that if I write this all down I can refer back to it if I'm struggling.

I'm not sure when my drinking became a big problem.. I had my first drink when I was 14 and then drank on and off for years at the weekends (binge drinking) I would have maybe 8-9 pints of beer at the pub and some shots. When I reached 20 years old I started drinking at home more often alone.. maybe a litre of vodka and a few beers, maybe a couple of bottles of wine too (fri-sun).. I became an aggressive drunk and messed up many of my relationships through it. The more of my relationships breaking down the worse I got, suicide attempts etc.. but still refused to get help. I even got arrested which was my lowest point. On nights where I wouldn't drink I would have trouble sleeping and also drank to self medicate my depression.

Now I'm 24 and finally need to admit my drinking was a problem and that you don't have to drink every day to be an alcoholic. This is the first time I've admitted it so is a little scary. I'm on day 2 now and still feel quite groggy, sick and no appetite, high temp and anxious. I fully plan to see a doctor this week but until then as I said I wanted to get this written down to remind myself how bad my drinking got. Thank you for reading xxx
Old 07-22-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Welcome AmeiliaRose

Day 2

Bestwishes, m
Old 07-22-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Welcome to SR, AmeiliaRose. Thanks for joining up and posting. Yes, a first post like this will serve as a great reminder of how far you've come as you get more and more sober days under your belt.

Yeah, the first few days are rough but I found I got a lot better physically after that. Going to see your doctor this week is a great idea, absolutely the right thing to do. If at any time you feel you need medical attention sooner than that, don't be afraid to go and see the duty nurse or doctor at your GP surgery or even to go to A&E.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Welcome friend.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you guys much appreciated! And Louise - I will definitely go sooner if I feel worse, I'm mainly going to talk about my depression and getting help for that but was thinking of asking for a health check while I am there too. Its just about bearable at the moment but just uncomfortable x
Old 07-22-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome and hang in there. Sobriety is a goal with so many benefits along with some struggles. Depression often is a direct result of drinking so it will probably get a lot better. KEEP COMING AND BE WELL
Old 07-22-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome AmeiliaRose - I think you made a good choice posting here!

I myself am heading to the doctor now to address my insomnia now that I'm on my journey to sobriety.

I wish I would have made this decision at 24 like you than wait until now.

Good job!
Old 07-22-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Welcome to SR

You have made the right decision by admitting to yourself that you have a problem. Now that you are over that hurdle and have joined our community you will find nothing but support here.

Don't hesitate to post any time you feel you need help. There is ALWAYS someone here who will lend you an ear.

Congratulations on the most important decision of your life!
Old 07-22-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you, and well done to you for deciding to visit the doctor, they are there to help after all and the main thing is you have quit now - better late than never, right? All the best to you in your recovery x
Old 07-22-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

AmeliaRose, Finally admitting I have a problem? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. Good for you AmeliaRose, you can figure out how to stop as well. Rootin for ya.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the gang AmeliaRose

D
Old 07-22-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very happy you joined us, Amelia! This is a wonderful place for encouragement.

You've done what I wish I'd done in my 20's - admitted your life is spinning out of control due to drinking. I kept playing with it for decades. As a result I ended up drinking all day, getting in financial & legal trouble, things I swore I'd never allow. Once it was in my system, there was no telling what would happen. I'm glad you've realized that at a young age. You can do this.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you already I feel much less alone in this after reading your responses xxx