Notices

Long-Term Inspiration

Old 07-22-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Long-Term Inspiration

I see a lot of memes flying around on social media sites - ones with inspirational messages or quotes from inspirational people ranging from Abraham Lincoln to P. Diddy. And I can't help but think that the mass quantity of these messages has overshadowed their impact. A quote may inspire you one minute, but you're hard-pressed to remember it the next.

So, my question is, where do you find your long-lasting inspiration? Some people use family and children to keep them on track, some music, books or movies.

What's yours?
Old 07-22-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Long before I quit drinking, I realized that sobriety would involve major changes to my lifestyle. It was a long time before I became willing to make those changes.

When alcohol had made my life unmanageable, I turned to a solution which specifically dealt with many challenges I faced. The solution is a carefully designed program that includes meetings and one-on-one interaction.

AA is my long-term inspiration for dealing with the things that kept me from enjoying life.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome - I've wondered about AA, as it's a path I haven't explored just yet.

I work in nightclubs on the weekend, and so far have been taking walks up and down the strip after-hours so that I can see - with a clear head - how people really act when they're drunk. To date, that's been enough inspiration for me. But AA will be the next avenue I likely travel down.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Something inspirational, it seems to me, coveys some deeper sense of meaning. I think at the core of inspiration is the need to convey this something.

Perhaps seeing those late night drunks is inspirational because of the complete lack of meaning that’s represented by those in that state. It’s a sort of meaninglessness epitomized by selfishness and self-centeredness.

I hope that in the end you find inspiration in what you convey to others.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is a good post.

For me inspiration is fleeting.

I can have HUGE moments of feeling inspired and literally hours later the feeling is completely gone.

What I try to do, even over the last decade of drinking, is to find ways to be inspired as often as I can. Inspiration to me, is a great way to find motivation.

Despite my shortcomings in the realm of alcohol - I have used this to become successful in other areas of my life.

Now it's time to use it to get sober.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Rob halford has done 27 years sober that is all the proof and inspiration i need . If i'm lucky enough to live that long i might as well

Bestwishes, m
Old 07-22-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know what you mean by inspiration coming and going. I hear something great or read something and then I forget. Its like my mind goes back to default every morning. I know this so I try to do something for my recovery everyday. It may just be to read something or go to a meeting.

One of the greatest inspirations to me for long term is people who have 10, 20, 30 years plus. I see these people in AA and they continue to go. It makes me realize that it's possible. If they can do it, so can I. But I forget, so I have to keep going to meetings. I forget, and then I am reminded, I forget and then reminded....
Old 07-22-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There are two people that I would cite as inspiration for attempting recovery.

Firstly, my former guitar teacher and dear friend. He taught me everything I know about the craft and helped me get some breaks that allowed me to make some money. He's never touched alcohol, tobacco or drugs in his life and he's had an extremely successful music career (some of the blues/rock aficionados on here may even recognise his name, but I won't post it for the sake of anonymity). He recently sat me down and told me he was worried about my drinking. That was the primary reason that I began considering abstinence from alcohol, as I have such respect for him.

Secondly, CM Punk. I know there's a stigma attached to pro wrestling because it's scripted, but I've always been a huge fan and CM Punk shows that shunning drugs and alcohol will help you reach the pinnacle of your field, whatever that may be, in his case, wrestling. I've been watching a lot of his stuff (even more so than normal!) the last few days since I committed to sobriety and it can be good for a laugh. Typically he plays a bad guy and his catchphrase was "I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't do drugs. And that makes me better than you." The crowd HATED him, which was exactly the reaction he wanted! Of course I don't agree with that preachy, elitist attitude, but he's just playing a character (although much of the sobriety gimmick is based off him IRL), and it can be very entertaining.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
Rob halford has done 27 years sober that is all the proof and inspiration i need . If i'm lucky enough to live that long i might as well

Bestwishes, m
I didn't know he had been sober that long. Huge fan though :-)

Old 07-22-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey, those memes are my long lasting inspiration!

Facebook was a major trigger for me early on as apparently the majority of my friends were massive drinkers. But I had a few hippy type friends who posted this sort of stuff and I was surprised how inspiring I found their posts. So I clogged up my newsfeed by liking all the hippy tree hugging stuff and I have found my outlook has improved. I'm not kidding either.

I also read a ton of alcoholic related personal stories. I think I am just working my way through that list in the stickies. And coming here everyday keeps me on the right path. I am amazed at people's efforts to help one another here and it kinda restores my faith in humanity a bit. It was always a little shaky before.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I find it right here, every day AceyMack

D