Notices

Is not posting a bad sign?

Old 07-22-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is not posting a bad sign?

I have looked at this site almost everyday for the last month but never can seem to find the right thing to say. I read the posts but then just don't to post anything. I used to like posting anything that I thought was helpful. AT the end of August will be one year of sobriety and maybe I am starting to get too far away from all the pain I caused when I was drinking. Not sure but I seem to be struggling in my head again which I have not done for awhile. Not really with thoughts of drinking but just some negative thoughts about daily life. How to handle myself. Getting angry when I didn't used to a couple months ago. Maybe I just need get back to all the things I did when I first got sober?
Old 07-22-2013, 09:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Stay close, stay in the action part of recovery and you'll be fine. I have done that same thing and become complacent only to forget where it all began and that is a dangerous place to find oneself but you are aware so that's great. I'm sorry you are dealing with some anger. Is it directed at certain things? Might be worth a closer look as far as root causes and how you're dealing with that particular emotion. I'm very bad with anger - I turn on myself and others quickly when I'm mad. I know you are intelligent and introspective so you will get past this part. Congrats on your time by the way! Very inspiring. It is always good to hear from you. I do like when you post so I hope you'll post more often; it doesn't have to be anything specific! My posts are sometimes really nuts. People just love me through it. Take care my friend.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't think not posting is a bad sign, per se, as long as you stay active in your recovery.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

I'm quite happy being a lurker and I tend to post more when I need the reminder of what it takes to stay focused. Which is what you're doing now. Which is a good thing.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have always felt that I talk/post when I have something to say. Often I just read/listen. Other times all I can offer is my presence. Use the THANKS button occasionally offer support and show that you're here.

Sometimes I go kind of long stretches without posting, too. I think that's just he nature of a medium like this.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Posting or not posting is, i think, neither a good nor bad sign .

The fact of you posting this question, i think that is significant , and it says to me you mightn't be completely happy with where you are .

When i feel like that, i ask myself what if anything can i do about it ?

Bestwishes, m
Old 07-22-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks. All good stuff. I think it is just a reminder that I need to be active in my recovery. Just wading through my day is not good enough. Whether I decide to post or not may not be the point but just working on myself daily.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by FamilyMan2153 View Post
I have looked at this site almost everyday for the last month but never can seem to find the right thing to say.
Sometimes all you have to say is welcome!

As for what "Not posting" means, I would say in your case, not much.

I often see people with very few posts who come here after relapsing and I see that they have been a member of SR for months, sometimes years, and they only have a handful of posts, and those posts are usually made when they've decided to quit, but they never follow up. For those folks, I often suggest they get more actively involved in SR.

My thinking is, if you are going to use SR for support or part of your recovery, use it. But if you don't, do or use something that will keep you connected to your recovery.

You are reading...that is involved.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

I agree with what others have said. Whether or not you're posting, just be sure to do something for your recovery every day, even if that's just reading posts and using the Thanks button for some of them.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sometimes we need to read and absorb and sometimes we may not have a lot to give. Recovery is ongoing but varies as life does.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here FM

If something's bothering you I think it's definitely best to get it out

D
Old 07-22-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Maybe it' best to look more on the bright side. The past is past. Look at how far you've come! You've gotten yourself into recovery, something which not everyone manages to do. This is a singular achievement. As to the pain you say you caused in your drinking days, that happens to everyone who has a drinking problem, who has been ill. If you caused pain you did so because you were ill. Now you're well into recovery. The sun will shine on you once again. You will have your true self back, free from the slavery of the past. Try to look forward and, when the time comes, put out a hand to help someone else out of the darkness. The more positive you are, the greater the likelihood that you will have a long and hopefully permanent recovery, winning the hardest battle of all, the struggle with one's self. Congratulations and every good wish to you.

W.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by FamilyMan2153 View Post
I have looked at this site almost everyday for the last month but never can seem to find the right thing to say. I read the posts but then just don't to post anything. I used to like posting anything that I thought was helpful. AT the end of August will be one year of sobriety and maybe I am starting to get too far away from all the pain I caused when I was drinking. Not sure but I seem to be struggling in my head again which I have not done for awhile. Not really with thoughts of drinking but just some negative thoughts about daily life. How to handle myself. Getting angry when I didn't used to a couple months ago. Maybe I just need get back to all the things I did when I first got sober?
I have just celebrated a year and I feel good about it. I was feeling very anxious and almost sad about coming up to it as I was worried about becoming complacent and I felt like I hadn't done enough yet.

I think having the thoughts you are having is quite normal when we come up to or pass milestone.

For me it is important to remember where I came from when I first quit. You posting this is a good thing in my opinon. It shows that you are still aware. And coming here and just reading is good too.

I think it is very important that we don't become complacent and too arrogant in our recovery.

And congrats to coming up to a year!
Old 07-22-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

you don't have to do this alone... there's strength in numbers

I use SR a lot . At home , at work , at red lights. If I'm struggling I'll stay glued. It helps me. But that's me.
Reading is Important , thanking or receiving thanks means as much to me as a response .
So it's really not that you respond or not , just a thank you would do

But if you are struggling , start your own thread , don't be shy

What ever helps YOU

Tr