Notices

Sponsor

Old 07-21-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sponsor

What is the big deal about sponsors......."did bill w have a sponsor did dr bob have a sponsor ? The meeting this morning was chaired by bill g. He is a sponsor to many at this meeting.
I thought the chair was suppose to share his experience strength and hope. This sponsor extrodenaire spent 20 minutes telling everyone what they have to do to stay sober. He took everybody elses inventories. He bragged about all his wealth. In general he was a pompous ass.
I have several people with long time sobriety who I consult with. I talk to them every day. They give me invaluable information on staying sober. They always tell me what has worked for them and I can take everything they say to the bank.
How can someone like bill g compete with these alcoholics who share there experiene strength and hope with me. They are my sponsors.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't have a sponsor so I'm not sure I have much to add

Sorry you didn't like that meeting or the speaker Tom - I guess it happens?.

D
Old 07-21-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Actually I loved the meeting. The others who shared were honest and sincere. I believe I learn from listening to how others found sobriety and their higher power. That and working the steps is my hope.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tom1949 View Post
"did bill w have a sponsor did dr bob have a sponsor ?
Yes and yes and find another meeting.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ebby was Bill's sponsor, and Bill was Dr Bob's sponsor. You can get all this by reading about AA history. I particularly recommend "Dr Bob and the Good Oldtimers".

And I agree, you need to find another meeting.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have done some research myself. I thought bill w was in a hospital recovering from another binge. He awoke with the idea to get and keep sober was to help other alcoholics by sharing his experience. He then found dr bob and helped him get sober by sharing his experience.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When AA members like Bill G. start to speak I tune them out--they have nothing I want, rather they have almost everything I don't want.

Once people like this are done speaking, I bring myself mentally back to the meeting. There are far too many wise members of AA for me to pay attention to that person who always seems to want to be the "star-center-of-attention" speaker at many (if not most) meetings.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

BTW, both Bill and Bob had sponsors. For some info on Bill's sponsor see BB pages 8 - 15.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I stand corrected. I was wrong. The erroneous info passed along I found on the net. I have just read about ebby and taking5 was right.
However so far I have found little talk of sponsors or their role in our sobriety.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You know Feenix at the beginning I did tune him out. Then I remembered being told that there is something to be learned from every speaker. He was an ass and I learned how little value there is in bragging what a great aa guy I am. I will do all I can to stay humble and speak of my short comings and not someone else's.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tom1949 View Post
You know Feenix at the beginning I did tune him out. Then I remembered being told that there is something to be learned from every speaker. He was an ass and I learned how little value there is in bragging what a great aa guy I am. I will do all I can to stay humble and speak of my short comings and not someone else's.
You have a good attitude.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Do a search on Clarence Snyder pamphlet on sponsorship and you will find a link to the 1944 publication.

I can't post the link on here.

"Sponsorship should never be undertaken to

-Increase the size of the group

-For personal satisfaction and glory

-Because the sponsor feels it his duty to re-make the world

Until an individual has assumed the responsibility of setting a shaking, helpless human being back on the path toward becoming a healthy useful, happy member of society, he has not enjoyed the complete thrill of being an A.A."
Old 07-21-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
EndGame

A sponsor's responsibility is confined to guiding someone new to sobriety through the AA Big Book Twelve steps, AA's program of recovery. Sponsors aren't shrinks, or priests. Nor are they ATMs with feet.

You don't have to go to an AA meeting to find a self-impressed blowhard.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

One thing a sponsor is great for is to disscuss blowhard sponsors. Talk to some old timers about sponsorship or bring it up at meeting.

If for no other reason the majority of people with long term sobriety think they are essiental
Old 07-22-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Recovered

One time a "jerk that I hated" actually said something profound and moving in a meeting. I couldn't believe my ears and I had to admit he might have something helpful to say. It's all a mirror to look at myself, no? I try not to turn off my brain anymore in meetings. I might miss something. Or pass up an opportunity to practice love and tolerance. lol