Notices

Blah

Old 07-21-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Blah

Today is day 3 for me. I was feeling down this morning but then managed 2 trips out today where i avoided alcohol whilst my friends drank. I was feeling more positive. But now i'm alone in my room again, all i can think about is the next time i can justify drinking. I'm constantly thinking "If i can last all week then surely i can allow myself a drink next friday"

"If i can last 2 weeks surely i can enjoy a weekend binge with the girls in August."

And i know that's just not good for me. That will just instantly revert me back to my old ways.

I see no way out of this mess.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

try and relax messyliver - it's day three

Things will get better - try to focus on the now though - thinking too far ahead just freaks us out.

There's nothing you can do about tomorrow or next week or next month or next year....but you can stay sober today
Old 07-21-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Admit to yourself you are alcoholic and can never drink again.

If you were allergic to shellfish, you wouldn't sit around thinking "I can't wait until August 5th so I can go get a big plate of shrimp". You would simply avoid shellfish altogether. In fact you would be extra careful to avoid shellfish. Treat alcohol the same way.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi. My suggestion is just don't think about drinking even if your arss falls off. Continued reading these forums and getting to AA meetingS help many people. Life will get better if you don't pick up. Period. BE WELL
Old 07-21-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Well done on day 3. The first few days are rough, but it will get better. Just focus on not picking up a drink for the next 24 hours and let tomorrow, next week, next month worry about themselves. If you spend a lot of time alone in your room, come on here as much as you can and read and post. I also spend lots of time alone at home and SR is a lifesaver for me. Getting local, face-to-face support also helps.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm with the ever sage Dee. I can only deal with the "now" that is before me...anything beyond that overwhelms the hell outta me. I can't think about "never drinking again" (okay maybe I can now ..but even then I avoid it sorta), tomorrow, next week, 6 months from now..Christmas..whatever. Just right now. Staying sober in the now takes care of all the rest.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Messyliver, well done on getting through today, im guilty of looking too far ahead its where ive failed in the past- oh well im bound to drink at that event, concert ,night out etc so might as well drink now, think its our brains justifying putting alcohol back into our systems, trying to just look at things day to day now like Dee says, it seems to b the way the majority of the long timers here have succeeded so its worth a shot. Wish you well.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ok. Need to be more positive with this taking it a day at a time thing. I've definitely accepted that i'm an alcoholic. Otherwise i wouldn't be finding it this hard in the first place x
Old 07-21-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

on day 3, I told myself I might drink tomorrow, but today I would try not to....

it worked one day after the other for a while

then I had to find another method, so I chose AA

but in the first week, it helped a lot

stay strong and don't drink today