Notices

21 Days and Going to start a Juice Fast

Old 07-21-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

21 Days and Going to start a Juice Fast

Day 21 here. I am having way too much of a romance with chocolate so I decided to try a 7 day juice fast. Found this nifty site "Just on Juice" that has recipes and a forum.

I have a function to attend on the weekend of Aug 10 and I want to fit into this particular outfit.

Has anyone else ever done a juice fast?
Old 07-21-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

no but sounds interesting Im going to have a look
Old 07-21-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Lucille. Have you seen the movie Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead? I just watched it last night actually, all about a couple guys who did 60 day juice fasts and all the benefits they got from it. I don't think I could do 60 days but I am planning on donig a 7 day juice fast as well. Going to experiment a bit first just to get some good recipes together. I've never done it before either! I will check out the Just on Juice site you mentioned.

And congrats on 21 days!

-Alison
Old 07-21-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

I literally just bought a juicer yesterday. It was pricey, but my husband and I are about to go on a 3 week juice fast next week. I have done so much research on juicing, and am still conflicted on if we should exercise or not. Anyway, maybe we should start a thread about it and track our progress! Super excited to start, just have to get through the initial days of headaches!

Congrats on 21 days sober!
Old 07-21-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No Alison, I've not seen that movie - maybe it is on Netflix. I will check. My hubby is going away for 6 days and i thought that would be a perfect time to do the fast - so I won't have to see him eating. I am not sure I will be able to give up my coffee though. I mean - just how much is one person supposed to give up?

I have lofty dreams of being this healthy juicer person. Ha. I think just having juice for 7 days will be harder than not drinking. But, I am curious to see what the results will be. Will I start to become this radiant woman? with rainbows and sparkles just pouring off me? Lofty dreams indeed.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dominica - I have a Jack LaLanne's Power Juicer Prestige. Bought it about 5 months ago. I tried a juice fast one other time and couldn't make it past noon. The website "Just on Juice" is really good. The owner, Donnie, will answer all your questions, and he has written many articles about juicing. There is also a forum you can join to get help/support (much like this forum).

I find that I need goals to keep me focused. I always need a challenge (as if quitting drinking isn't challenging enough). But I figure - hey why not just try this, it can't hurt.

It would be awesome for us all to try this fast together and encourage each other. We can compare notes. I plan on picking up my supplies tomorrow. Even though my hubby doesn't leave until Thurs night, I thought I might start on Tuesday. I wonder how much of a beoch I will be without my coffee? I will probably grow fangs.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on 21 days, Lucille!

I was thinking of buying a juicer to supplement my veg intake. Weight's ok, but I know I don't get enough veg in my diet, I feel tired a lot every afternoon (19 days).

Dominica2, what type did you buy?
Maybe that's something one can't post here? No advertising products? Dunno.
The one i was looking at is about $150.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh hi Lucille, thanks, that was the one i was looking at buying. Do you like it?
Old 07-21-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Netflix does have "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead". Guess I know what I will be watching sometime today and compare that to "Leaving Las Vegas" (another type of liquid fast).
Old 07-21-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

fangs lol
Old 07-21-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leshar View Post
Oh hi Lucille, thanks, that was the one i was looking at buying. Do you like it?
I really don't know how to answer that because I don't have enough experience. It is not too difficult to clean - I just rinse it under running water. I have to use a bowl to catch the juice since the spout is low. I think if I get into serious juicing, I may end up buying something better. On the "Just for Juice" site, there are juicer recommendations.

I didn't want to spend a fortune on something that would end up in my ever expanding appliance graveyard.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Like Leshar I am worried about not getting enough fruits and veggies in my diet. I might go check out a juicer or 2.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I do all kinds of cleanses! Green smoothies is my favorite. You use a blender instead of juicer so you get all the fiber. Just blend raw baby spinach with fruit Mellon mango berries bananas whatever they taste amazing too. Plus really boosts your iron, potassium and b levels levels. which is great for us gormer boozers I've also done the master cleanse several times that's lemon juice cayenne one. It's pretty hard core!
Old 07-21-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LucilleBluth View Post
Day 21 here. I am having way too much of a romance with chocolate so I decided to try a 7 day juice fast. Found this nifty site "Just on Juice" that has recipes and a forum.

I have a function to attend on the weekend of Aug 10 and I want to fit into this particular outfit.

Has anyone else ever done a juice fast?
Hi Lucille. Um..I'm going to have to stick my two thumbs downward as a non supporter. I'm actually a weight loss coach. And it's not that I'm against juice fasts..I think they are important and a nice break for your internal organs etc. I don't think I am a fan of "fasting" in early sobriety. I mean you have so many "wide open spaces' to fill in sobriety..taking food out of the equation seems severely deprivational at this fragile juncture. Forgive me if your sobriety is much longer. I am assuming it is new just by your SR join date.

There are as I say..health benefits to fasting..but your focus appears to be weight loss. I believe it is "healthier" to be a little gentler on yourself regarding the chocolates.. I would also perhaps buy myself something new and flattering rather than punish myself in early sobriety to get into something smaller. I just think you're being kinda hard on yourself.

If your sobriety is much further down the road than I have assumed...forget I said anything. I mean you're welcome to forget it either way..but I'm just throwing in my two pennies cuz that's what this forum is about.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for your thoughts Nu - I am one of those people who likes to give myself challenges otherwise I get bored. I will not buy myself clothes at this point. I was out trying on outfits just the other day and was simply disgusted with my reflection. I need this challenge.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Juice fasts are great, but for me it was too much work... If you are not going to eat any solid food you are going to be juicing a lot. I have started smoothies I am in day 4 but I do eat solid foods as well. Juicing is great but to use the entire veggies and fruits I like it better, you can add nuts and other stuff. More filling in your tummy.. Good luck...
Old 07-21-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Silvy - I do have a smoothie for breakfast and yes they are yummy and filling. I don't know if I will succeed but I am going to give it a try. Maybe my goal is too lofty and I should just try for 3 days. I already have a juicer so it's not like I am running out to buy something new.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for your thoughts Nu - I am one of those people who likes to give myself challenges otherwise I get bored. I will not buy myself clothes at this point. I was out trying on outfits just the other day and was simply disgusted with my reflection. I need this challenge.
Well I was a "drunkorexic" for many years...saved food calories for booze calories. Please just promise me you will "eat" rather than "drink" if it gets to that okay? Your sobriety is far more important than your waistline.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Silvy - I do have a smoothie for breakfast and yes they are yummy and filling. I don't know if I will succeed but I am going to give it a try. Maybe my goal is too lofty and I should just try for 3 days. I already have a juicer so it's not like I am running out to buy something new.
Oh and p.s...ya my first thought was I would be far more comfortable with 3 days!! ..and then slowly incorporate broths and easily digestible foods working your way back to day 7.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Well I was a "drunkorexic" for many years...saved food calories for booze calories. Please just promise me you will "eat" rather than "drink" if it gets to that okay? Your sobriety is far more important than your waistline.

Ha - I love it. "drunkorexic".

Most of my friends all have beer bellies and have gained a lot of weight as the years have gone by. My friends ask me - "how do you stay so thin?".

"It's all the exercise of course!" I fail to mention the fact that I drink my dinner :-)