Notices

Two Weeks Sober

Old 07-21-2013, 06:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Two Weeks Sober

Thanks to everyone on here for your support and encouragement. Every day is a struggle, and you serve as inspiration!

So, today is my 14th day sober, and as I've been saying in other posts, days DO matter. Some of us go from day to day hoping to remain sober until tomorrow. Some of us are fairly new at this sober life, and days is all we have.

I wanted to share a few things I've noticed and done since deciding to live a sober life:

Physically
  • My blood pressure, which hovered in the 150s over high 90s for years (a stroke was inevitable), was 121/76 this morning, and has been in this range every day for one week. I'm not eating differently, I'm just not drinking alcohol.
  • Without trying and, again, without eating differently, I've lost ~6 pounds. This is a good thing.
  • Though I still have spider veins on my face, they are less pronounced and don't appear as if they are about to burst. They are actually thinner, and I hope they ultimately go away. Also, the general redness in my face is gone, as is the bloated face I would shamefully wear.
  • The pain I had in my lower intestine, on the lower, left side of my abs, is gone. Consecutive days of drinking would trigger diverticulitis for me, which led to constant discomfort in my lower intestine, and ultimately led to three separate trips to the emergency room. Well, no drinking = no trigger = no discomfort or pain. I surely still have diverticulosis, but I'm not triggering attacks with alcohol anymore.
  • And wait until I start going back to the gym!!!

Activities
  • Because my weekends revolved around drinking, either with friends or alone online, I couldn't drive much, or do other things I enjoy doing, such as reading, watching movies, or taking photos.
  • Now, I go to movies, I read, and I take photos! Yesterday I went to the mall, went to Barnes & Noble and hung out for a while, watched a movie in a movie theater, ate Chipotle, and drove all over the place without the fear of getting pulled over and/or injuring anyone due to driving under the influence.
  • Though I never drank much during the week, but did drink 1 or 2 nights per week, I don't drink at all now, so I get a full night of sleep EVERY night, awake rested, go about my day energized, and read myself to sleep at night. I love it!

Emotionally

I feel great! It's as if I'm a new person. No exaggeration. I look forward to everything. Simple things, such as shaving, showering, driving to the store, etc., are exciting. Because I look healthier, I look forward to meeting people and going out in public and to meetings at work. I just feel great!

And, so, yeah, I'm sober, I'm happy, I'm healthier than I've been in over 30 years, and I look forward to tomorrow

Thanks, friends, and please keep fighting the good fight! You are NOT alone!
Old 07-21-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fantastic job on 2 weeks mate....It feels amazing doesn't it.....Well done.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

And yes days really do matter....I have been counting from the start and I have no intention of stopping yet....227 so far...
Old 07-21-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have to check your screen name after I read "enjoying shaving everyday" because at first glance I thought your screen name was SoberMarie and I'm thinking...wow, Marie has some kind of hormone problem.

Congrats on your 2 weeks and it is wonderful to read that your BP is in normal range. That in itself is worth it.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

LOL @ LucilleBluth!

Congratulations SoberMarine!
Old 07-21-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LucilleBluth View Post
I have to check your screen name after I read "enjoying shaving everyday" because at first glance I thought your screen name was SoberMarie and I'm thinking...wow, Marie has some kind of hormone problem.

Congrats on your 2 weeks and it is wonderful to read that your BP is in normal range. That in itself is worth it.
lol me too
Old 07-21-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for sharing your story this morning!! It is very inspiring. I love to see posts with all of those positive things.

My poison isn't alcohol, it's pills, however I've come to have great respect for people on this site who have or who are trying to stop drinking. It is a tough thing to do, I'm seeing more and more.

I also have a friend at work who recently stopped drinking and smoking. I didn't realize how sick he was until i saw him three months later. The guy was glowing. And so happy

Congratulations on your 14 days. That's huge!! Please keep us posted with your progress.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Stevie88: Thanks! It DOES feel amazing!!! I appreciate the encouragement And keep on counting! I am! 227!?!? WOO HOO!!! GREAT JOB!!! TRULY inspirational!!!

LucilleBluth: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! In Marie's defense, 'she' didn't say 'she' shaves daily And thanks for the congrats! I agree, my healthy blood pressure in and of itself makes it worth it.

LadyBlue: Thanks!!!
Old 07-21-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Peanut44:

Thanks for writing, and for the kind reception you gave my update. We're all going through tough struggles, and it's TOO easy to focus on the negative. We might, instead, look at the negative aspects as challenges we WILL overcome, and as opportunities to be positive and succeed.

I don't know what it's like to be addicted to pills, but I have a feeling it's a REALLY strong addiction because, just with Vicodin one time for me, I took it for 3 days due to pain, was pain-free by the 4th day, and my body was asking me for Vicodin!!! So, yeah, being addicted to pills MUST be tough! PLEASE hang in there!!!

It's great that your friend at work gave up on alcohol and smoking and is doing better. For those of us fortunate enough to get better, it's amazing how we can tell just how sick we were by how healthy we now are

Thanks again for your support and encouragement, and PLEASE continue the struggle. You know it's worth it, you know it'll pay off, you know you'll be happier, so it's now just a matter of 'keep on keeping on'. Please keep on
Old 07-21-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

well done on your two week sober marine

D
Old 07-21-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Great job on 2 weeks, SoberMarine. Thanks for also writing about the improvements you've noticed. Very inspiring!
Old 07-21-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on two weeks and thank you for the positive message.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Two weeks!! Your new life is sure agreeing with you, Marine. Our newcomers will benefit from this wonderful, upbeat post.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats! 14 days is a great accomplishment. I too felt almost instantly better upon stopping. My blood pressure and blood glucose dropped, my mind cleared and I just had more positive energy.

Keep it up!
Old 07-21-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
willingness is the key!

Wow! Thanks for your share! Amazing, and very inspiring. Being sober does feel great! I'm very proud of you and will be here to support you and give you any encouragement you need to help you on your journey to sobriety. I got sober at 31, and will take a chip for two year's in two months. miracles do happen. Much love to you!! Thanks for all you do for our country!
Old 07-21-2013, 09:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks, I am at the end of day 1 and cannot believe how rotten I feel.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Very inspirational!

The things you take for granted, someone else is praying for.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

good job. nicely done!