Notices

Hoping to make a comeback!

Old 07-20-2013, 11:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hoping to make a comeback!

I'm new here and just wanted to make a quick post. I really like this site so far. I have been sober in the past a few different times. Once by working the steps of AA. That time just over a year and the second time for over five years not using AA. I like that this site is all inclusive and doesn't push an AA agenda but is inclusive to those who do. AA doesn't really do it for me so I'm hopeful that websites like this one and maybe some good reading material will help me get and stay sober again.

anyone have any good recommendations for books that aren't AA related but that might help me on my newest journey?

thanks!
Old 07-20-2013, 11:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome soberbob! I got a lot out of Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit drinking and the Spirituality of Imperfection..although the latter does have some AA leanings regarding the importance of storytelling and community. I am not in AA (was in previous quit)..I still found the book brilliant. I have also just ordered "Sober for Good" which was recommended around here.

Glad you're here!
Old 07-21-2013, 12:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Bob

there's a little bit of everything in this link:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rituality.html

D
Old 07-21-2013, 12:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you're here.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome bob & great to hear you have decided to go right back at it again. I wish you well on your quest.
Ando
Old 07-21-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi. I was going to defend AA as it's helped millions and got me 30+ years. Then I remember that not all meetings are alike in any way except the don't drink part of it. It's made up of people, quite a few that came in as very sick both mentally and physically, a fair amount with differing religious beliefs, some pushy, and on and on. BUT it works if WE work it and /or other methods, here for example. I'm not soft and cuddly and tell the way it is and some don't want the hear about the ravages of continued drinking. AA has many styles of people all the way to the softest and kindest, BUT remember this, we all love and care what happens to the individual. At times I get fed up with the BS until I remember I was once that way. BE WELL
Old 07-21-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Bob,,
A book which really helped me is,
Empowering your sober self by martin nicolaus,, it's the lifering approach to recovery from addiction.
Ando.