Notices

"Taking action"

Old 07-20-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"Taking action"

This was the topic at the meeting tonight. I was thinking about how this can mean different things for me at different times. When I am in a good place it means enhancing my recovery by helping others, delving deeper into myself via mediation and reading, finding new interests or getting back into old ones. This week has been a toughie for me though. So it has been back to basics- taking action to make sure I am practicing gratitude, eating to nourish myself even if I lack an appetite, getting my exercise, resting. When I was drinking my basic needs were barely met. How awesome is it that I can now think clearly enough to KNOW that I need to uphold these simple (yet integral) things in order to get better and get past whatever it is I am working through. I still beat myself up a little but I don't self destruct or punish myself anymore. This is the first time in my recovery that I realized this. What an amazing gift my sobriety is. And you guys are very much part of that gift!! Hope everyone is having a good sober weekend, hugs
Old 07-20-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice post. I think recovery is really about taking action in a lot of ways. It's so important to be engaged in recovery behaviors... even when we're feeling down.

Sounds like you're doing well, even though it's been a tough week. Way to go.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I like your attitude. You sound like you're doing well. Good for you!
Old 07-21-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Old 07-21-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The longer I am sober the more convinced I am that alcoholism is a thinking disease. my mind tells me that I can out think it or out smart it. Being in my head without adult supervision is a very a dangerous thing.

The only solution is to get out of my head. I do this by going to a meeting, talking to another alcoholic, getting exercise, posting on SR, helping someone in need, doing something enjoyable. anything that keeps me out of my sick and twisted brain.

The more active I can be in my recovery the higher the likelihood that I will remain sober today