Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

I see the road...it's just getting to the destination that's hard.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

(Just venting)

I just felt like writing because my AH is making this very hard on me. It's not like I figured it would be easy, but emotionally I'm exhausted! I finally got a job I start Monday, so in 2 months, after we both save, we're getting a divorce and he is moving out. He has known this is coming and now that he sees I have the means to support myself he's clamoring for ways to make it not so.......without actually altering his drinking of course!
I KNOW I'm getting the divorce. There is no question of that. I'm just concerned with just how bad he could get before that day. I know he's just talking out his a** when he's telling me how wrong it is that I'm giving up on our family, and I'm running out on our family. I tell him I'm doing this for myself and our kids because no matter how you look at it, it would be insane for me to continue to remain in a household where my kids listen to us argue and, whether he wants to believe it or not, they are affected by his drinking.
So I'm just venting because I'm tired and I wish he were already out, and it really doesn't matter if it's 2 months from now or 2 days from now, it's going to be bad.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

onefootoutdoor, you are very courageous to take what I know is a very difficult step for you. It is absolutely the right thing---esp. for your children. Every child benefits by being removed from an alcoholic environment. Some day, they will look back and thank you.

It is not a cakewalk, but remember---it is short-term pain for long-term gain. There are m any people who stay in toxic relationships simply because they cannot bear the short-term pain---they have too much anticipatory fear. You are way ahead of the game in this respect.

Keep posting. We will walk with you.

dandylion