RA's: What made you want to stop?

Old 07-19-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

RA's: What made you want to stop?

To all recovered alcoholics here:

1)What made you WANT to stop drinking?

2)What was the driving force(s) that motivated you to quit?

3)What was your "bottom"?

4)What made you decide that finally enough was enough?

5)If any of you struggled with having so much guilt or shame that you felt it was pointless to even try, or to care, what changed that thought process for you?

6)Before you got sober, what were some of your biggest obstacles to overcome before you were in the right mindset to achieve sobriety?

7)Before you could admit to yourself or others that you were an alcoholic, what stopped you from accepting that truth?

8)What did it feel like to be judged for being an alcoholic?

9)How did you deal with enablers?

10)What aided you in being in denial? What did you tell yourself?

I could think of more questions but that's quite a lot as it is.

Any other input on the struggles of accepting and overcoming alcoholism are appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How bout I just pick one.

5)If any of you struggled with having so much guilt or shame that you felt it was pointless to even try, or to care, what changed that thought process for you?

The man who paid the penalty of my sins at the cross.

Romans 8:1 -2
“There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus,
Old 07-19-2013, 11:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'll pick one, too

I had an epiphany on my way home from a bar in the mid-afternoon, after a very negative encounter, that pretty much everything I am unhappy about in my life is connected to (a result of?) drinking.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
How bout I just pick one.

The man who paid the penalty of my sins at the cross.

Romans 8:1 -2
“There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus,
Can you elaborate on this? Meaning, just your thoughts behind why you came to be motivated by this/in this way? What happened that you reached out in this way? How did it help you through guilt and shame?
Old 07-20-2013, 12:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhiteFeathers View Post
I'll pick one, too

I had an epiphany on my way home from a bar in the mid-afternoon, after a very negative encounter, that pretty much everything I am unhappy about in my life is connected to (a result of?) drinking.
Would you be alright to elaborate on this negative encounter? I'm thinking you may not want to or that it's private since you didn't elaborate on it in your response. If it's too private I understand.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

By the way, to all who have already replied as well as those who will later on, congratulations on your sobriety.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi OnawaMiniya
Are you having trouble with motivation? We can answer your questions, but what motivates one person might not work on another. Here are some of the things that made me realise I had to stop:

Health concerns. This wasn't just from theory; I had also seen the affects of alcohol on people I knew. The one i dreaded the most was cancer, and there was an ad on the telly which said alcohol was a Class 1 carcinogen (on a par smoking).

Drinking, wishing I could drink and planning to drink started to take over my life. I didn't want to go any further down that path.

I've never wanted people to feel sorry for me, and hey would if they found out I had a drinking problem.

I was putting on weight.

My DIL was a smoker and I wanted her to quit, but I felt I couldn't encourage her if I didn't have the willpower to give up my own harmful addiction.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I've got my whole story posted over here. I wrote that about three years ago.

Actually, this sort of thing is semi-interesting, but I don't know that you can generalize too much from a handful of recovered alcoholics. Every person's story is deeply individual, just as the stories here are. There are certain common threads that often pop up, but I know a guy who got sober in prison, going to AA meetings there after his death penalty was set aside. I know other people who got sober after relatively minor events (as in my story). About all I can think of that they have in common is that there was at least some kind of emotional "bottom" in the sense that the person could not go on the way he or she was going. And I also think most of the people who ultimately succeed were willing to do whatever it took. The individual "motivators" are, well, individual.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OnawaMiniya View Post
To all recovered alcoholics here:

I never wanted to stop drinking.

There was no motivation. There was no person or place. There was no white light. When I finally gave up and surrendered my desire to drink was gone. I was done. It was over.

I have no clue

Again, I have no clue. I had what some call a moment of clarity. What made me have it, I have no idea. What made me come to the point of surrender, I have no idea. I just stopped fighting the idea of accepting help. I had received a gift.

I felt guilt but it never was a factor. I felt bad but that had nothing to do with why I quit. It does play a factor if I am going to remain sober.

6)Before you got sober, what were some of your biggest obstacles to overcome before you were in the right mindset to achieve sobriety?

Drinking, plain and simple. I don't think anyone really starts to understand sobriety until they are sober at least a little while. Once I got a little, I wanted more. Now I embrace it.

7)Before you could admit to yourself or others that you were an alcoholic, what stopped you from accepting that truth?

I knew I was an alcoholic for years. It made no difference admitting that.

I only had one person that actually told me they did not like my drinking. That is when I first went to AA. Later they told me they did not believe in AA. To them it was just stop, that is all. No disease, no mental obsession. Just stop. I drank for nine more years. I don't think "just stop" was gonna cut it. At least not then.

I have no clue. If people enabled me then they did. I had no control over that. My mother knew I was an alcoholic yet every Birthday she bought me my favorite whiskey. I drank it. Plain and simple.

I was not in denial about being an alcoholic. I was in denial about trying to control my life and everything in it. I convinced myself that there was only one person I could trust and that was me.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello Onawa....

I read (but don't post) quite frequently in the Newcomers to Recovery and Alcoholism forums here on SR. I think most of your questions can and will be answered by taking a few moments to read through those forums. It has helped me to have some small understanding of the daily struggle faced by alcoholics in early recovery.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When the prospect of suicide was as attractive as giving up alcohol, I gave up alcohol.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post

I was not in denial about being an alcoholic. I was in denial about trying to control my life and everything in it. I convinced myself that there was only one person I could trust and that was me.
Thank you for this. I always felt my exabf believed he couldn't trust anyone but himself. In the last letter he wrote me, he actually said as much.

About his alcoholism, he said the more he has discovered about himself and and his issues, the more he needs to feel better about himself and stop listening to anyone else. His feelings, and his heart, belong to him, and no one is going to tell him what or how to feel. (He is still drinking).
Old 07-20-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hydrogirl View Post
Hello Onawa....

I read (but don't post) quite frequently in the Newcomers to Recovery and Alcoholism forums here on SR. I think most of your questions can and will be answered by taking a few moments to read through those forums. It has helped me to have some small understanding of the daily struggle faced by alcoholics in early recovery.
I do the same thing, hydrogirl. It's been really interesting and helpful to me to see what the "other side" is going through, and reading those forums allows me to do so with what I believe is some degree of healthy distance. Not that the stories and thoughts posted in there don't touch me and sadden me, but it is helpful for me to hear stories from people who are not ABF, so I can process those stories with some objectivity.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Reading the stories Stories of Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information may also help answer some of these questions.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Or check out the personal stories in the Big Book. Another good read is "Moments of Clarity" by Christopher Kennedy Lawford.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Interesting questions. Everyone is different. If I knew how to transmit my experience to make someone else sober--especially those alcoholics I've loved and still love--I would. But here are my answers.

I only wanted to stop drinking when I was coming out of horrible hangovers or suffering withdrawals. Otherwise, I never really wanted to stop drinking and I often forgot how bad the after effects were. It took a couple of years of being sober before I wanted never to drink again--and even then I have days where I would love to be able to have just a drink.

I did want to stop being in pain, though, and eventually it became clear that alcohol was causing more pain than it was alleviating.

Life or death.

Don't know. Haven't reached it yet. I wasn't functional, didn't have a job, had moved back in with my parents, was in debt, had lost relationships and friends, my health was suffering and I was suicidal. And I still drank. I know I could still go lower though as when I quit I was thinking that maybe being a homeless drunk wouldn't be so bad since at least I could drink without anyone bothering me. Sad, but true. I didn't hit bottom so much as recognize the insanity of my life.

Being drunk was as bad as being sober. I realized I was going to have to dedicate myself to sobriety or die of alcoholism.

I don't know. The instinct to live is strong, I guess.
That, plus lots of AA meetings and hearing the message over and over. (I drank my way through years of meetings, but something got through eventually.)

I didn't think that people who drank like I did could stop.

I knew I was an alcoholic almost from my first drink. It was part of my identity for a good two decades. I was proud that I was an alcoholic, it was a badge of honor that I could drink so much and I never wanted to stop. The problem I faced was believing I could stop and also letting go of my identity and identifying as a sober person. For a long time I felt like a "goody two shoes" and I hated it. I was always a rebel and I'm a writer and alcoholism just seemed to fit in nicely with my view of myself. I had to realize that alcoholism wasn't my identity, it was an outside force that was killing me.

See above.
I never cared what the "normies" thought. Now I identify as a non-drinker. I only talk about my alcoholism with close friends, or in recovery circles. And I still don't generally care what people think.

Not sure if I have any now. My relationships while drinking were with other alkies and I'm no longer in contact with most of them. I distanced myself from anyone who would encourage me to drink. Some of my friends drink and my best friend is an alcoholic, but they all respect my sobriety.

I was never in denial about being alcoholic. I was in denial that I was hurting myself. I thought I was immune to any problems that other people would have. I just lowered my expectations of myself as my life grew out of control. I've heard it said that alcoholism is a disease of perception and I think that's true.

I knew I had a problem, but I couldn't fully appreciate it until I'd been sober a bit and saw how insane my life had become.

I was also in denial that I could stay sober. I thought I was hopeless. Turns out I wasn't, for which I'm eternally grateful.

My best to you.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I went on a 3 week binge around the holiday season (commemorating a very painful breakup with someone I truly loved) when every time I did not have to work, I would just be drinking. I felt like I could not stop and it was scary because I know I am an alcoholic and I had 5 years sober before I started drinking again.

It's not a way to live and I knew that things would get far worst drinking wise if I did not quit here and there

I was planning my suicide and making arrangements. I had googled all the local bridges, access to them, was looking into funeral costs so I would not be a burden to my friends.

It was either go back to recovery or suicide.

N/A

Popping out of that depression and caring enough to give it a go.

Nothing, I knew I was an alcoholic when I started drinking again in 2006. I got away with drinking sometimes a few, sometimes nothing and sometimes >not very often< heavily (alone in the evening) for 6 years with no consequences but I knew that sooner or later the "bullet" would hit me.

No one knew, I was a closet drinker and I am single and live alone. I would be alone in my house with the phone and social media off.

I never had my own codie or enabler but I have been on others' codependent and enabler.

No denial, just not caring anymore and a death wish.

Any other input on the struggles of accepting and overcoming alcoholism are appreciated.
I am a "high" bottom alcoholic and actually I identify much more with other codependents. I know I can never drink safely again and I have to be careful when hearing other alcoholics' stories because my AV could easily say that I am not a "real" alcoholic, that my drinking is a symptom of my codependency.
This is why I work an hybrid program and also go to Women For Sobriety (which is about empowerement rather than character defects) and use AVRT tools. If I only went to AA (which I love btw), there is a chance that the men's "low bottom" stories would give my AV ammunitions.
I am lucky because I have zero cravings or desire to drink (it was the same way when I was in recovery for 5 years before).
So my main challenge is probably to admit that I am a "light weigh" and try to identify and not compare, sometimes identifying is tough, I identify much more with those guys wives and girlfriends LOL.
I have also to be careful to maintain healthy relationship with others (especially romantically) and to not let outside circumstances throw me off.
I always keep in mind that it is not what we drank, how often we drank or how much we drank but how drinking affects us. For me, drinking will send me in a dark night of the soul.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

For me, after having grown up without any concept of normal, getting into self medication with A & D, I eventually became acquainted with human beings who could be trusted, that didn't abuse themselves or their kids, didn't live outside society.

I made the conscience decision to choose life over death.

I got clean first, kicked alcohol 4 years later.

I don't discuss my bottom.

Shame, guilt and depression are the natural result of addiction. When I was in recovery they became less of a factor in my life and my outlook.

My denial was that everyone around me used, drank or both and I saw that behavior as natural.

I attempted to avoid everyone I knew that was still actively using/drinking when I made my break from that life.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Another good read is "Moments of Clarity" by Christopher Kennedy Lawford.
I would also highly recommend it. I borrowed it from my local library, it reflects the diversity when it comes to the symptoms of alcoholism and "bottoms"
Old 07-20-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Why are you asking? Looking to save an alcoholic family member? I am recovered and know why I quit and have almost three years sober. No one can help you or tell you anything to motivate another to quit. They have to decide that. I have an AW and she is progressing in her alcoholism quite predictably. She was a really neat person once. It is painful to know where she is going. I have been partway there and had my fill. Nothing anybody can do for the addiction of another. You can decide things for you, like whether to stay or leave. Anything about the other is strictly up to them. Getting others to save them by manipulation, emotional blackmail, control issues, were not my MO as an alcoholic. It is for most.

Sorry but you just get to watch until it is too painful or they decide they have had enough of their addiction. Same decision we make about being near them.