Notices

The lucky 10%....

Old 07-18-2013, 12:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

The lucky 10%....

Just read an article that stated only 10% of people with addiction problems actually realise they have an issue and even fewer find recovery...

Here's to all us lucky ones....
Old 07-18-2013, 01:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

That's amazing if true. I've always assumed people know when they have a problem with alcohol, substances etc, but don't want to admit it, possibly even to themselves. Many discussions are held in the context of confrontation, or accusation, and the threat of going without their DOC makes them deny there's a problem. But they know deep down.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am surprised the percentage is so low. Can you post the link to the article? I would be interested to read it.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Because I'm arrogant and I think I might have made a point that is worth reading, http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-new-post.html

And I don't think we're lucky, I think we made the right choice. And I think we were informed by those with experience or education, or both. Or maybe we were just bad off enough to realize on our own.

Either way, I think it's simple. Sad, but simple. I know many who either float about the rooms of AA and NA, never keeping a sobriety date (I was one for a bit) or have died from alcoholism/addiction. It's maddeningly simple, but not easy to recover.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Addiction: The disease that lies - CNN.com
Old 07-18-2013, 01:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

The only statistics that really count are the personal ones.

I wanted 100% to leave my old life behind, I put in 100% effort to that goal, and I've stayed 100% sober 100% of the time since.

and I'm not someone special - I'm no different from anyone else reading this.

Recovery does happen

D
Old 07-18-2013, 02:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

the scary thing about stories like this is people will readthem and think they could never be in 'that' 10%and use it as an excuse to carry on drinking.

I take little notice of statistics as they can be made to say anything

Dee is right -it's what an individual wants for their life that counts. Luck has nothing to do with it.We all know we've got a problem.It's what we do about it that matters.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
iwh

articles shmarticles. i keep the parts that help me and toss the rest.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

just sharing what I read lol- don't shoot the messenger and all that....

I did not say luck had anything to do with recovery, I said we are lucky some people die way before they get a chance at recovery.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've been impressed by the self awareness of the SR community. Perhaps this group better understands themselves than other people do. What I'm trying to say is that some people I know who drink heavily do so to cope with problems that they think are beyond their control. They never think that it is themselves that are the problem. I suffer from this thinking to an extent, but am trying to change.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Quality responses , especially dee , you nailed it. It's amazing that we can believe any crap that the media through about when our heads not in the right place. It's a personal journey and question everything it's only your life you are dealing with. How can they even predict this crap? If only ten percent know they have a problem who diagnosed the other ninety? I think addiction can be moderate and not cause pain like the pain I felt through mine. I know all addiction is bad but I really can't see how this 10% can be measured up. Anyway I'm sober and loving it, best thing I could ever have done for myself so go get it if you want it. There's plenty of support.
Peace
Old 07-18-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
iwh

Originally Posted by GroundhogDay View Post
I've been impressed by the self awareness of the SR community. Perhaps this group better understands themselves than other people do. What I'm trying to say is that some people I know who drink heavily do so to cope with problems that they think are beyond their control. They never think that it is themselves that are the problem. I suffer from this thinking to an extent, but am trying to change.
this is very interesting and can see the problem to an extent.

i've been finding that self awareness is key. we have it because we've really been thrown out.

though you mention that 'they never think that it is themselves that are the problem'.

so, i can see the conflict. drinking is not a good solution. i know i am not smart enough to understand or explain all of this yet, but i have been doing some research.

there is a social ego and your own real ego and personal center as well.
everything about other people including you tries to guide and reinforce your understanding and idea of self to fit society.

so, to be quick, to say that it is themselves is the problem is obvious because you represent society, this is your job to guide them to what you feel is acceptable. however, this is simply just that.

it seems it is within everyone to really check themselves what works or them, what's believable and try to pursue the best lives they can and know that outside influences are just that.

or something, i'm very new to this, but felt like typing.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
iwh

bump, feel free to chime in...
Old 07-18-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I should probably give an example of what I am talking about. Many people on SR have connected their anxiety directly to drinking. I'm dense enough that I didn't see that connection. I tended to explain the anxiety as due to the life problems that led to my drinking.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
iwh

well this has nothing to do with what i was talking about then, lol.

i still find that anxiety is a social issue.

'they themselves' are a problem socially and hopefully can correct the issue by understanding that society is a horse-load of **** to say the least and any bit of true confidence you will find is within your self, what you truly know and can see for yourself. best to land on the happy side of things, obv.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, Lionhearted. Interesting points on this thread...
I think an important point made is that a lot of people are either not aware that they are alcoholics/addicts or are in denial about it. For me that's true, even though I'd say I'm a pretty self-aware person. From watching intervention shows on TV and my own experience with my grandfather, I thought alcoholics were people drinking all day every day, falling down on the streets, in rehabs, in jail, etc...Certainly that is one type of alcoholic. And then there are people like me (and many of my coworkers and friends) who hold down good jobs, have clean homes and do fairly well in many ways. But we're living half-lives, teetering on the brink of disaster, staying just this side of the abyss.
So, admitting these to myself was sooo difficult: 1. I AM an alcoholic. 2.I must stop drinking forever. 3. I need to take action to stop drinking. Admitting these things to themselves is something the majority of people don't do for different reasons (like my own reason above) . And as someone above said, so simple, yet so difficult.

As for statistics...I had a friend in my 20's who was a statistician and she always said that statistics only show one part of any situation/issue, not the whole story. So I always try to keep that in mind.

Anyhow, that's my two cents. For whatever it's worth.

Junegirl
Old 07-18-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Maybe off point...denial of a disease keeps us blinded to a cure.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

My sponsor runs an interesting stat. He takes one week (7 days) out of the year and counts the number of people with less than one year of sobriety and the ones with more. He says the ratio never significantly changes in 20 years of doing it. This is very deep when you think about
Old 07-18-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
iwh

zzzzzzz...
Old 07-18-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
My sponsor runs an interesting stat. He takes one week (7 days) out of the year and counts the number of people with less than one year of sobriety and the ones with more. He says the ratio never significantly changes in 20 years of doing it. This is very deep when you think about
Well, if he's basing that statistic on who is present at an AA meeting or not, selection bias may be at work.