Notices

Day 4 and feeling reclusive

Old 07-17-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 and feeling reclusive

So I've made it four days without a drink or drug which is probably more than I can recall in the last 8 years. I've been mostly feeling good except for some mood swings and obsessive thinking about a recent situation I was in right before I entered recovery. I've been going to a meeting every day. I suddenly feel really reclusive though. This is really unlike me. Half the reason I was always out drinking is because I hated being alone. I couldn't even stay home to have a coffee in the mornings because I wanted to be around people and see friends. Suddenly, I find myself wanting to hide in my house and not see anyone at all. I feel like no one is my friend ( even people I didn't use with ) and I just feel like dropping off the grid. Anyone else experience this? It's honestly so foreign to me because I've never in my 30 years felt this way. Is this normal? It seems extreme but I can't help it. I wonder if I will want to be social again or this will last...
Old 07-17-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Dustyboots View Post
Is this normal?
Yup.

soberMD - Anhedonia

In most cases though, extended periods of abstinence from addictive drugs (and alcohol) combined with a good substance dependence recovery plan and a healthy lifestyle reverse these symptoms.
Hang in there Dustyboots.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Dustyboots, and congrats on 4 days!! You'll find lots of support and encouragement, and great wisdom here too.

Yes, I've heard that a lot, about people preferring to be alone in the beginning of sobriety. I actually prefer to be myself a lot more since becoming sober, and personally, it's been very therapeutic and healing.

Glad you found us.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know if it is normal....but life certainly changes when we put down the bottle. The mind and body need some time to settle down.

I can tell you from my experience that I went from being paranoid and reclusive to a personable and friendly person.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Four days in, your brain is still making short-term chemical adjustments. I was prone to crying for the first 7-10 days. I would give it a week or two and see how you feel then.

And there's nothing wrong with spending time alone. You get to spend time with the coolest person you know! (Well at least that's how I think about it)
Old 07-17-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by Notmyrealname View Post
Four days in, your brain is still making short-term chemical adjustments. I was prone to crying for the first 7-10 days. I would give it a week or two and see how you feel then.

And there's nothing wrong with spending time alone. You get to spend time with the coolest person you know! (Well at least that's how I think about it)
My dad used to say "when you're alone at least you're in good company."
Old 07-17-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I too think it's relatively normal. I've been spending a whole lotta time with myself since I sobered up...then again, wine was my closest companion previously anyway. I spent a lot of nights..just me and the bottle.

It's good to spend time with you. I know that my drinking and doing was a way of getting away from me.

Welcome...and congrats on 4 days of your new life : )
Old 07-17-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's normal too - it's still early days Dustyboots - try not to worry too much
If you're still housebound at 4 weeks there might be a problem

Welcome to SR
D
Old 07-17-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Seems normal to me - from what I've seen, you're going to go through a lot of these changes. Some you'll see as positive, some as negative, but they're all part of the process.

Listen to what your body/mind are telling you, and take the time to iron out all of those instances that are on your mind (like the one you're obsessing over).
Old 07-17-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Dustyboots, Day 4 and feeling reclusive? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. Getting sober(3 years now) definitely threw a wrench in the spokes of my social life. Pretty much everybody I associated with was as big a drunk as I was and I knew I had to stay away from them or else . At first I was worried about it but didn't really take me long to get over it, staying sober was the most important thing in my life. All my oldest dearest drinking buddies know what I'm doing and it doesn't bother them one bit that I'm not using anymore. Rootin for ya.