Notices

Corey Monteith

Old 07-17-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Corey Monteith

It is truly amazing how destructive the disease of addicition is.

I never really watch the show he was on, but he seemed very popular and very active in the community...By all accounts everything a young person could ever want in life.

I feel sad for his friends and family.. Very tragic.

It also makes me a bit scared to see just how powerful this disease is. Folks post here from time to time that the addiction just wants you dead.

Never underestimate it.

RIP

Jim
Old 07-17-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
iwh

i don't know what to say. i actually read thought-provking comments regarding the fact that he was fresh out of rehab.

it's not a factory people. especially in matters of getting high.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
It's so sad...

So tragic when young and talented people keep losing their lives to addiction...

Rest in peace...
Old 07-17-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was shocked to read of this wonderful young man's death. He had achieved over a decade of sobriety before he relapsed. It is truly frightening and sobering to realize that this disease never goes dormant.

Rest in peace Corey.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
iwh

thanks for that comment MB, it means a lot.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I too agree with what has been shared
thus so far. Addiction is nothing to play
with. However, I am amongst many
who that within our addiction never
knew how distructive addiction is to
our minds and bodies till it's either to
late or just about to late.

I was one of those that at the end of
my rope wanted to die, wanted to end
the emotional pain, those inner demons
and eventually attempted to follow thru
with it.

With so many of us that are in recovery,
it is up to us to pass on our ESH - experiences,
strengths and hopes of what our lives were
like before, during and after our addiction to
others struggling with addiction and their new
road into recovery.

How else will anyone who is sick know what
life is like after addiction if we don't stand
up and talk about it. All those people, members
before me that are in recovery took me by
the hand so to speak and led me thru recovery
each day at a time teaching me new ways
to learn new healthier ways to live with out
drinking to numb my feelings and live on lifes
terms.

It is sad to see so many people, young and
old get destroyed by addiction. Then I get
angry at how many people out there in the
world, who could care less about feeding
our addiction. Like the devil dangling poison
in front of us, teasing us, tempting us, just
to get his thrill and satisfaction of it.

I really wonder if the person who gave Cory
his last fix of heroin has a conscience. Does
he even know he was the cause of his demise.

Probably not. Probably none of those people
selling drugs have a soul or conscience as to
what they are doing. And then, when the one
that is into their addiction is looking for that
instant fix, really don't care where or who they
get it from.

All I can say is that I'm in recovery and in
order for me to remain safe, healthy and
responsible in recovery is to help at least
one person today not drink or drug and then
Ive done my job.

Im only sorry for Cory is that he didn't hold
on tight enough to others in recovery to
continue guiding and helping him in his
early stages of his recovery.

You don't ever have to end up like him.

Just For Today.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Today I talked with a young woman via the hotline....she is going to her first AA meeting with another sober woman...I hope the best for her....
Old 07-17-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
iwh

i said that while i was overtyped; sorry.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was addicted to Heroin and I still think about it almost every day. I don't know if I will always feel the same way I do now (I have 8 months sober from opiates and 3.5 years from alcohol) but I will say that it was the hardest thing I've done in my life. It literally haunts me like a ghost; even on my best days. I understand where this guy was at in terms of the battle he was fighting after a relapse. I truly feel that if and when I ever relapse I will die from this disease. It's sad but I'm being honest, I don't say this is a self pitying kind of way. Think hard before you go back out; you might not have the opportunity to come back and try again. We all think, "It won't be me in a body bag." But the truth is, if we don't stay sober, however we are doing that, we are at huge risk every single time we pick up. I just pray I am strong enough to live the rest of my life without Heroin and alcohol.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

So sad and such a waste. Addiction is progressive. Unless you die before your time you will die from it. Or in Corrys case he likely OD'd by accident.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I feel like a total putz saying this, but here it is.

I wish that one tenth of the people I know who have expressed sadness over this tragic death...had had a word of encouragement or an hour of hope to share with me when I was messed up and trying to get clean.

I see all these posts (not here, I mean with my real life friends) about how sad, tragic, horrible disease of addiction, how he'd tried so hard to overcome it, what a loss...and wonder where they were when I was out of my mind and seeking help and couldn't get the time of day...including NOW when I am havign a hard time...still struggling with this horrible disease and they are weeping over their TV show character and won't take 15 minutes to chat with a struggling friend.

I HOPE that yes, somehow this front and center tragic loss will raise awareness of the issues, will lead to donations to treatment centers, and wake up calls for some to get into treatment and all that. But darn...I wish that I could get a tenth of a tenth of a tenth of one percent of the attention.

I declare today, "hug an addict in your real life" day.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
I feel like a total putz saying this, but here it is.

I wish that one tenth of the people I know who have expressed sadness over this tragic death...had had a word of encouragement or an hour of hope to share with me when I was messed up and trying to get clean.

I see all these posts (not here, I mean with my real life friends) about how sad, tragic, horrible disease of addiction, how he'd tried so hard to overcome it, what a loss...and wonder where they were when I was out of my mind and seeking help and couldn't get the time of day...including NOW when I am havign a hard time...still struggling with this horrible disease and they are weeping over their TV show character and won't take 15 minutes to chat with a struggling friend.

I HOPE that yes, somehow this front and center tragic loss will raise awareness of the issues, will lead to donations to treatment centers, and wake up calls for some to get into treatment and all that. But darn...I wish that I could get a tenth of a tenth of a tenth of one percent of the attention.

I declare today, "hug an addict in your real life" day.
This is why the hand of AA/NA is always there for people that will reach out and grasp it

I think many just do not know what to do so they do nothing
Old 07-17-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
iwh

also, Threshold's posts are so deep and well written sometimes it's like what do we say to you? please don't get dumb on us. we love you, no doubt, but please understand T, you're asking for help beneath you sometimes, with me at least..
Old 07-17-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

iwh,

no such thing as beneath anyone here. We are all human. All addicts addressing the same life issues. All we ever need to do is hang onto that honesty about ourselves and one another. The minute we stop looking eye to eye, we put our own and the recovery of others at risk because we have bought into a lie and are supporting a lie.

put someone else on a pedestal and you'd better watch out that they don't crush you when they fall down. dig a hole for another and watch out that you don't fall in when you approach it so you can look down on them.

Even ground is where it's at.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
iwh

T, you're great, I like.

This thread is about Corey Monteith though, yo
Old 07-17-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

well, it was til you did one of your bait-and-switch derails.

as for cory, it just goes to prove that people often live very different lives to the one they show the world. a shame, and a waste of a young life.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
iwh

[QUOTE=ippochick;4074409]well, it was til you did one of your bait-and-switch derails.

is that directed at me?

i'm still new so not sure.

if it is, i'm not looking to be followed. make connections yes, and i can be the most tried & trued friend anyone will ever make, but it's major that i get on on my own too. it's all up there, i'm not saying where it lands.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think this is about celebrity at all.

A young guy, 31 years old, is dead by the same kind of demons that stalk many of us.

Personally I really don't care whether he was a truck driver, a scientist or a TV star.

He was as real an addict, and as real a person to those who knew and loved him, as anyone else here.

As far as other people go and helping them - it's not like there's only a certain amount of love to go round here....

The world might be a little colder sometimes but none of us can make others react the way we think they should, and anyway thats why we have SR

lets stick to Cory Monteith here tho - if you have other issues you want to raise, please start a new thread.

D
Old 07-17-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

I agree with Dee. Yes, I've watched Glee but the thing that distressed me the most is that Cory was the same age as me, not that he was a TV star. It makes me think about all the other 31 year olds that die of this disease every day. I think about their families and partners and young friends who are grieving just as Cory's are. And that makes me determined to get and stay sober this time. Not just for myself and for my loved ones but so that, in the years and decades to come, I can pass on my story of hope and recovery to young people who are struggling.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

he was no different than my homeless cousins( brother and sister) found with the needles still in their arms not too long ago.

addiction is no respector of persons.