Notices

New here- four days

Old 07-16-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here- four days

Hi all, I have four days sobriety today!

I went to my first meeting on Monday, then another after, then two again yesterday. The only way I'm stopping myself from drinking is by going to meetings. They're full of such incredible people- I feel like I've found a new family.

I'm struggling though. I want a drink so badly. Trying to take it one day at a time (or one minute at a time). I'm scared of getting sober but I know I don't have a choice if I want to survive. Basically, I'm lost as to where to go from here.. I will be going to meetings, hopefully getting a sponsor soon (?), praying (even though I don't think I believe in god, maybe a higher power..), and just not drinking.

Anyway I've been lurking here the past few days and just wanted to say hi

-Taylor
Old 07-16-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Taylor,

Congrats on 4 days!! I am on day 2 and last night struggled with wanting to drink. I went to my first meeting yesterday and am going back today.

Also, the chat room on here is great too. They talked me down off a ledge yesterday and really helped.

Good Luck to you!!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
YEM
05/07/2011

Congrats! I urge you to try and do 90 meetings in 90 days. A lot of fog lifts during that time and you will be able to fins a sponsor that you can relate to, which I think is very important.

90/90 sounds like a big order but it is doable and was one of the best choices I have made. Keep coming back!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome ... Yea it is a scary prospect; especially the first couple weeks when reality hits you; But it does get better over time .. Although I am still early on & scared as well LOL But it has lessened .. Good Luck

Originally Posted by newstart713 View Post
I'm scared of getting sober but I know I don't have a choice if I want to survive.

-Taylor
Old 07-16-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all! I do plan on trying to do 90/90 as going to meetings in the evenings is the only thing preventing me from drinking. I'll have to check out the chat rooms. Thanks for the advice and support I just want the day to come when I don't constantly think about drinking.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Something I was taught at meetings is to get phone numbers from people there you can call when you have the desire to drink. Sponsors are important, but it can be difficult to find one that works out well, just keep trying.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great job on your 4 days newstart! We're so happy you joined us.

Those first few days are rough, but things will settle down and get easier. I was afraid of facing my life sober too - but now I realize how sad it was to stay numb & foggy. I missed so many good/important times being out of it - & not really being present in my own life. I'm glad we've decided not to live like that anymore.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hang onto the 90/90 it works if we work it! A couple tips I got as a newcomer: KEEP COMING even if and the most important AA literature is a meeting list. BE WELL
Old 07-16-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am grateful to the judge that court ordered me to 12-step meetings and also to the counselor that suggested I try AA (I was contemplating going to another fellowship). Just like you, from the first meeting, I felt at home. I embraced the program....got telephone numbers and used them. I didn't get a sponsor and work the steps right away (I thought staying sober was good enough) but eventually I did follow suggestions and got a sponsor and worked the steps after about 2 years sober. Wow, had I known the serenity and freedom the working the steps brought, I never would have delayed this part of the program. Next month on the 21st I will celebrate 6 years and the court stuff is way behind me now. Welcome to a new way of life.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Hey Taylor, congrats on 4 days and welcome to SR. It's fantastic you've made the decision to get sober and that you're taking action by posting here, going to meetings and looking for a sponsor.

Like others, I recommend keep going to as many meetings as possible and get phone numbers to call. Try to call one fellow alcoholic a day, although call more than one if you need to. Also, get a service commitment at one of the meetings you go to. That will keep you coming back to that meeting week after week and will get you talking to the other members doing service or just attending the meeting.