Notices

Day 5 -- a challenge!

Old 07-14-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 -- a challenge!

I am traveling to a place I go for work each year. I usually sit in the bar and have a drink before going into the dining room and having wine with dinner, and then taking another glass upstairs to my room.

I knew this would be difficult. The restaurant was closed when I arrived for lunch, so I had to eat in the bar. That's okay, it was 2:00 and I wouldn't drink at that time anyway.

Went down for dinner, determined to go straight into the dining room and again, it was closed! Found out it's only open for breakfast and lunch now. The only option is to eat in the bar. (Plus, it was noisy!!)

I didn't want room service because I wanted to be out of the room. I used my phone to see what else was around, and lo and behold, there's another hotel a block away -- which I should have known but never really thought about. I walked there -- it was quiet, I had a wonderful dinner, great service, water and decaf and NO alcohol!!

Whew!!! I was pretty proud of myself.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Travelling for work can be difficult! Expense account/daily allowance, stress of traveling, cultural issues where *everyone* drinks, being "away" from anyone who would know (except yourself). It's tough! You should be proud of yourself!
Old 07-14-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fantastic job! Way to stick with it, you should be proud.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good thinking!! Keep it up
Old 07-14-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks!! I really wanted that "way to go!" from someone!
Old 07-14-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing that, I am glad you posted it because this past weekend I did the exact same thing. Went to a hotel in and stayed downtown in a different city this weekend - the hotel had a fancy lounge bar and also a pub on the ground floor. I thought about going in and just ordering some dinner and a club soda at the bar...

Like you said though, there were so many other options! I went to a restaurant on the river instead, sat at a regular restaurant table and had a salad. Then I took a walk and enjoyed a festival in the park and had a lemonade. Listened to live music on the square. Chatted with some folks outside the hotel, went up to my room and watched a movie. Sure was a lot better than sitting at the hotel bar eh? It's amazing how we zero-in on bars and often see them as "the only option" when traveling...

Glad you made it! Congrats on a job well done!
Old 07-15-2013, 12:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Way to go! Being in a bar is what I'm dreading the most (meeting friends this week for lunch) but sure if you did it so can I !
Old 07-15-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

you are a rockstar, freedance! way to go!!