Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Meeting was listed at a church, but I went and there was no meeting

Old 07-14-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So I found a meeting listed at a nearby church and went, it was scheduled for 8 to 9 pm. I got to the church, went in, looked around, couldn't find any signs of a meeting. I saw a lady told her I was looking for the al-anon meeting. She said she was there for the "meet and greet" church social that was a couple hours earlier, and that she didn't know anything about any al-anon meeting. So I went home.

I learned that that particular church is getting a new pastor (hence the church meet and great) and so, maybe the meetings had to find a new location. I'm sure the active members know about these things, but what are the newcomers supposed to do about this?
Old 07-14-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

It has happened to me before with an AA meeting. It sucks but the best thing you can do is call your local Al Anon intergroup so they know about it and can change their online meetings directory.
Sometimes groups fold and intergroup find out about it months later.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Jules

That happened to me before and was very frustrating. I would just call the main Al-anon number and get more info about different meetings. don't let this stop you. Unfortunately it just happens sometimes.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What's the intergroup?
Old 07-14-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

That's where they answer the phones. Google Al Anon intergroup yourcity and it should lead you to a website with a contact number and a list of meetings.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've had the same thing happen regarding an Alanon meeting at a hospital, where the receptionist at the hospital had the same (incorrect) info as the Alanon website did, due to the meeting having been recently moved b/c of construction. Apparently no one in the group had mentioned this to the local office so the website could be updated, or made sure the hospital updated the info for the information ladies! But, you know, we're all human and it happens....

So yes, +1 to all the things Carlotta said. It'll probably be best for you to find the website for your local area anyway, as that's where the most up-to-date info will be on meetings, open meetings and other activities like picnics, retreats or seminars.

For me, if I type in "alanon waukesha county", Google brings up my local intergroup. I'm guessing something along those lines will work for you too. In addition to listing all the meetings and so on, there will generally be an email and/or phone number given for the local central office.

I feel so grateful to live in these days of readily accessible electronic information--can you imagine how isolating and horrible it must have been to be in our situation back before the internet?
Old 07-14-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

It's happened to me a few times, too. Some intergroups are better than others about keeping web pages up to date, and some groups are better than others about keeping intergroup informed of any changes. And printed meeting lists may only be printed once or twice a year.

I think anyone who really wants a meeting will find one. Sorry that happened to you, Chou.