Notices

25 days sober - dreams

Old 07-14-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

25 days sober - dreams

I've been doing well with sobriety as far as I can tell. I've been in quite a few situations with friends drinking and I didn't have a drop. I keep having dreams that I am drinking though. Not just having a drink, but drinking as fast as I can until I feel intense guilt and pour the rest of whatever I have down the drain. Do other people have these dreams? I try to think of them as a good thing because I stop. I don't drink in them like I used to...until I blacked out, but they are a nuisance.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have to say; I rarely remember my dreams at all; so can not relate on that one .. But congrats on 25 I couldn't handle hangin' w\ the :Boys" and not drinking my self

" A man has to know his limitations .. "
Old 07-14-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, August! All of my friends know what I'm doing and they're really supportive, so that's been really great. :-)
Old 07-14-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is great All my friends are in denial about theirs; so doesn't help lol I shouldn't say all .. I do have a few that just enjoy beers here and there and don't get nutz ..
Old 07-14-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

Dreams about drinking are common for a lot of people.

I'm not in AA, but I've heard they are often refered to as "freebies."

I've had a couple so real that I was surprised I did not have a hangover.

They pass after time.

You are right, they are a nuisance.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Drinking Dreams

I have 14 months sober and I still have drinking dreams. Usually I dream that I have drunk some wine and that I have run out and am trying to figure out how to get more! In my dream, I am usually trapped with family members and in a situation where there is no privacy and it is difficult to get my hands on more wine or liquor. In them I am also thinking..."Damn. I blew it. Now I have to start all over again."

Needless to say...I wake up really relieved!!!
Old 07-14-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes! I've been having dreams about drinking and then I get really upset because I fell off the wagon and when I wake up I'm really upset still. Today is my day 30 and this only started in the past week.
Must be fear/anxiety...

June
Old 07-14-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh yes....I had a lot of drinking dreams in the first few months. I have heard this is normal for a lot of people. I used to be so disturbed by them. My sponser would say think of it as a freebie lol but I never enjoyed them because I always felt guilty in the dream too! I did have one this past week after a few months of not having any. I always wake up feeling so grateful it was just a dream.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah, they definitely don't seem like freebies. Haha. The feeling good part is missing, I only experience the day after guilt. Good thing it doesn't last!
Old 07-14-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've been having dreams about being at a concert and being dosed. It's odd because in the dream I keep saying to myself "this is going to ruin my sobriety". Strangely enough my dreams don't involve drinking ... as far as I can remember ... but dreams are bizarre territory at best at least in my coconut.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, I had these - very intense and extremely real, especially in the first few months. Like your dreams, mine were always about using or over-indulging and were followed by terrible feelings of guilt. Most of the time my dreams centered on me drinking "by accident" in one way or another, and it was horrifying for some reason.

You are not alone. And they're just dreams! If it helps, most people report that these get less and less frequent as time goes by, and that is the case for me as well.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have had drinking dreams many times. Never have a had a cigarette dream because I never have smoked. Go figure.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

40+ days in, and I still have these dreams. And they all end in my sponsor and his sponsor being very angry with me. I'm what you'd call a "runt", and they're giant men... So there's a good bit of fear involved with these dreams. I wake up and the LAST thing I want is a drink!

I'll take a bit of sweat in my sleep if it keeps me sober!