Notices

Hypnosis for cravings? Any experience?

Old 07-14-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hypnosis for cravings? Any experience?

Hey clever folks of SR!

Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience of hypnosis to combat cravings? I know on its own it probably wouldn't work, but in the context of lots of other tools it may be useful. I do love a quick solution (who doesn't right?!), and yes addiction is a complex thing, but I also think that sometimes the mind can be re-programmed successfully towards a damaging behavior.

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Like you said, complex.

I expect you might be talking about "classic" hypnonsis, and I have no experience with that, but I feel like some of the tools I've used in recovery are a form of hypnosis. Guided meditations, brain wave MP3 downloads, even certain prayers, sayings etc.

I feel my cravings are more psychological than physical. I am not craving alcohol as much as the warm slip of relief, the forgetting, the escape. So it sorta makes sense that things that provide some form of that, and different focus, some sort of candy for the brain, or at least something for the brain to chew on...would help.

In time my brain gets retrained.

People also have life changing conversion moments, where a trauma, moment of awe or some other powerful experience cause a sudden and lasting change of perspective. We usually think of these as spontaneous, but I believe such a thing can be programmed intentionally if one understands how the brain/psyche works. Something on this order could be replicated in a hypnotic state and have a lasting real effect.

I hope some folks who've done classic hypnosis will chime in, and that my posts hasn't taken the thread on a tangent.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hypnosis treads a fine line between pseudo-science and psychology. There are plenty of rational thinkers and scientists out there who think it's complete hogwash, while others are willing to give hypnosis a pass and say it works in certain situations, depending on the subject's frame of mind.

You don't have to go to med school to become a hypnotist. You can get a certificate by paying a few bucks online and take a class. Then again, many people find meditation to be very helpful, and I would say that falls into the same category.

I have been hypnotized, and in my experience it was more theater than substance. I didn't wake up and think "wow, I'm cured". I thought "wow, this is a load of crap". However, many other people have claimed it's helpful, so feel free to simply take my words as one man's opinion.

Take that for what you will.