Notices

Weasel1966 (Today)

Old 07-13-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Weasel1966 (Today)

I am one of those people that likes to observe the obvious. Why? I don't know... It's just me.

I have observed the thank you's that we put to posts.

When I use them they have different meanings for me.

When it's my post I typically try to use them for every response. If people took the time to post back they deserve a thank you from me. Regardless of the viewpoint the variations are welcome.

Posts where you can feel the pain come through... Those are tough... My thank you is a big hug or an arm on the shoulder to comfort in some small way.

Day count posts I am there to congratulate you!

Struggling posts... To root you on. Encourage you to treat yourself good.

Then there are posts that I struggle to comprehend. Not because I don't understand the words but because the situation is one I could not imagine for myself. A place no one would want to be. I thank you because of empathy.

Some thank indiscriminately.... Others with careful selection.

Doesn't really matter I suppose. When you show support for me know it is appreciated. Be it a return post, pm, thank you, or simply reading my shares.

Weasel1966 (Today)
Old 07-13-2013, 07:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

And I thanked your post because I can relate to many of your motivations for thanking, Weasel. So thank you for providing us with this insight and making me think about what thankfulness means to me.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks L82. Sometimes I don't know how to respond and the little thanks button is not really saying all I want to say but I feel it's important to click.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I give everyone a good thumbing on the weekend thread .

I try to remember what it was like being new to forums , then new to ones as emotionaly charged as ones dealing with addiction issues and give them liberally with newbies . more prolific posters i just thumb when something chimes with me .

I am pritty random with it though and i suppose it's more about me than the original poster or the correspondent .

m
Old 07-13-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Haha, I forgot about the weekend thread. I've been thanking everyone there too, just because I love the sense of camaraderie, with everyone thumbing one another.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful

LOL I have thought about this too Weasel. I have even come up with a nickname for it, I call it the "resentment bar".

When I first came here I judged how "helpful" (good ) my post was by how many "thanks" I got. I think it was more of an "acceptance" thing...if I got thanks I was being accepted by the group. Over the last few months my attitude has changed some. I still thank people and people thank me (and I appreciate it), but I don't think about it much. I figure if one of my posts helps one person...member or guest...thanks or no thanks...then it was a useful post to carry the message that sobriety rocks!
Old 07-13-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lol, this is a great post, Weasel, and THANK YOU. I don't think we can get past the social part of ourselves, but I think that's good. The law of reciprocation is powerful, but I think it's there to keep us from clubbing one another. I'm trying to let go of second guessing the meanings of "thank you's". That's not easy because I feel like a social misfit most of the time. Your post helped me clarify my own thoughts on the subject.
Cheers,
cas
Old 07-13-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Weasy!!! big hugs too
Old 07-13-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yea, drive by thanker here If I don't have enough time to reply, if someone posts what I would've, support, acknowledgement that someone out there heard you, etc. Thank you Weasel for the thread
Old 07-13-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good stuff, Ken!! Hope all is well with you!!!
Old 07-13-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

If people start thanking me I get worried I must be mellowing or something. Humbug to all you Internet huggers
Old 07-13-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks! I am doing well today. Just got back from a day trip. Usually a time of worry trying to decide if I can drink " just a little bit". Not anywhere near tempted to take this mood and clarity away.

New DOC = candy crush game
Old 07-13-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Night owl

Thanks weasel and everyone else. Weasel, you summed up a lot of the reasons I hit the thank you button.

I also struggle with the "resentment bar" issue, too, Grungehead. It's because of my lifelong rejection/abandonment/negative thinking challenges, stuff I will probably always be working on. But I love it when I get through those feelings and usually come out with more perspective and feeling a lot better.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Usually a time of worry trying to decide if I can drink " just a little bit"
Ken i gave up asking that question as the answer was always the same "NO" .. the worry disapeared at about the same time and i found FREEDOM .. wooo
Old 07-13-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I didn't realize how important the thank you button is to some people. And no there is nothing wrong with that, it has just given me some food for thought. I've just never really thought about it.

I get something out of every post whether I agree with them or not. I think everyone who posts here is important and what you contribute to the site is important.