Daily Affirmations For ACOAs

Old 07-12-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Daily Affirmations For ACOAs

July 12

Motivation

Today I initiate change and place the outcome in God's hands.

I am the main motivating force in my life. Day by day, I initiate the changes that free my emotions and enable my personality to unfold. I am the actor, not the reactor. I am comfortable with initiating changes in my life.

Growing up in an alcoholic home, I came to dread change. Change brought uncertainty, insecurity and emotional pain. I sought solace in routine and convention. Now, as an adult in recovery, I thrive on change, and I fearlessly initiate change which challenges me to grow and supports my healthy recovery.

I am at peace with the inner world of my being and with the outside world of people and circumstance. Thoughts and actions proceed from me with power and knowledge.

I am the only one who knows what's best for me. The choices I make will inspire the actions I choose. I am the one to act. My Higher Power guides my decisions and helps me carry them out.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

July 13

DISAPPOINTMENTS

DAY BY DAY I AM CHANGING

Today I will turn all my present disappointments into new meaning for myself. The more I venture out and take risks in business, or with male/female relationships, new hobbies, new ideas - the less fearful I become of blocks in my road to recovery. These blocks can be turned around. I can turn all disappointments into thankful learning experiences. I will also trust that my Higher Power will guide me through difficult obstacles and lead me on the right road.

In my alcoholic family, I suffered many disappointments. Now, in my recovery, I see that disappointments can teach me to be thoughtful and can spur me to persevere with my plans and projects.

I will not let obstacles set me back on my journey to recovery. Recognizing my power-filled being, I depend only upon myself to change. And I do, day by day.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

July 14

SHARING

I WILL SHARE MY GOODNESS TODAY

I will continue to share my goodness and wisdom with those who are close to me. I will not give gifts out of obligation. I will not use gifts to buy love. The love I want flows freely given from person to person, shared and generously reciprocated, no strings attached, no fine print, no "love now, pay later."

I share my goodness with others with unconditional care and appreciation. I recognize important moments and special events. I highlight them with notes of gratitude, or expressions of caring and appreciation

Without pressure or stress, I can remain separate and still be part of the lives of my family and friends.

I will give one gift to one person today in appreciation for their place in my life.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

July 15

FUTURE

I WILL ENJOY TODAY AND LOOK FORWARD TO TOMORROW

I have complete trust in myself today. I will visualize only good in the future. All my fears will be lifted to let freedom reign within me.

Life will be fascinating in the way it will reveal new ideas to me. The better I know myself, the more available I am to new and innovative methods. There will be great positive happenings for me. I will love and be loved, be surrounded by supportive people, and I will continually choose the right path.

I will not let the alcoholism in my family block my path. I will continue to work on defining my boundaries, accepting my emotions, and taking care not to take on too many responsibilities.

I trust that the future will be rich with vigorous expression and enthusiastic experiences.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

July 16

REVERIES

I WILL FIND TIME TO DREAM TODAY

Today I will take time to dream. I will preview goals and aspirations. I will let my fantasies go wild. I know that fantasies sometimes become realities. I know that my thoughts determine the path I choose, the words I use, the people I meet. Aglow with the exciting potential of fantasy and dream, I will dream only wonderful thoughts and explore my reactions to dream come true.

As I dream, I will dissolve the barriers and constrictions that block the free flow of my imagination. All heavy burdens, all fear of novelty and guilt for "wasting time" disappear.

This dreamtime is a time of innovation and freshness. I brush aside disparagement and criticism, and turn my thoughts into affirmation, positive statements that support and enhance my recovery. I find time to dream today, and I accept and admire my fertile imagination.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

July 17

POSITIVE ATTITUDES

I WILL HAVE A POSITIVE OUTLOOK ON LIFE TODAY

I will have a positive outlook on life today, an attitude that will allow me to experience joy and move me on a path of acceptance, love and freedom. I have the power to change the way I think. I can choose to change my attitudes, and this is what gives me freedom.

Freedom got lost in my alcoholic family. For too long I remained stuck with negative thinking and hopelessness.

Today in recovery I see that attitudes can change my thought patterns and lead me on a positive journey. My attitudes are not fixed forever; I can change them as I move through each day.

The attitudes I choose can determine my sickness or health. They can inspire hope, or they can produce despair.

Today I will change all unhealthy thinking to be healthy. I will experience the joy of the moment by my new thinking.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

July 18

LONELINESS

I CLAIM MY FREEDOM FROM LONELINESS

Today I will recognize my freedom to have fulfilling relationships with other people. I will claim my freedom from loneliness, emptiness and depression. I will greet my loneliness, face it, and set it free.

I will open my mind and my heart to the light of this day. I will choose the right people as companions, and we will share moments of the day together in love and goodness. Our words will convey a mutual respect and intimacy, and will effortlessly communicate by voice, by touch, by smile and gesture.

I will set myself permanently free from the prison of loneliness and feelings of isolation, but I will savor the solitude that puts me in touch with my inner wisdom.

I can be alone without being lonely.

I claim my freedom from loneliness today as I appreciate the affectionate and caring people in my life.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

July 19

DECISIONS

I AM COMFORTABLE WITH MY DECISIONS

I will concentrate on my thinking powers today, and I will be comfortable with my decisions. I accept myself and feel worthwhile. My self-acceptance and self-worth do not depend on the opinions of others. I make my own sense of self, and I do so in full knowledge that I am a worthwhile person and that I have the ability to think and make good decisions.

I do not ask, "What will so and so think?" Instead, I talk to myself, and I say: "What do I think? What do I want?" When I seek the advice of another, I do so with the knowledge that I am the one who makes the final decisions. If I try to please everyone, I end up pleasing no one at all, not even myself.

Today I will be conscious of all the little decisions I make, and I will accept all my decisions as right. I will be comfortable in my decisions, knowing that I am doing the best I can.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

July 20

RELAXING

TODAY I WILL SET ASIDE TEN MINUTES FOR ME

Today I will take time off from my daily routine. I will make a conscious effort to separate from work, from stress and pressure. I will give myself free time - to loaf, to notice new terrain, to have a special treat.

I never seemed to get time off from stress in my alcoholic family. It was my task to be alert and ready to cope with any emergency. There was no vacation from tension.

Now I can take time off for myself. I can take time off today to journey into new thoughts, restful interludes, new prayers of health and healing.

I will set aside ten minutes today to read, to meditate, or to simply relax. Time off helps me gain control of my own direction and sense of purpose.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

July 21

MIRACLES

I WILL RECOGNIZE THE MIRACLES OF TODAY

Today I will be aware of the mystic sense of wonder that God creates within my soul. I notice clouds and subtle breezes. I catch glimpses of life unfolding around me, and I am reminded again and again that each new day is indeed a new miracle.

I will treat each day as a new beginning - a fresh start - with the potential for new joy, new appreciation, new miracles. At the end of the day, when the stars sparkle in the sky, I take a brief inventory of my new learnings and experiences of the past twenty-four hours. I make those learnings part of tomorrow's miracles.

I continually grow and change by exploring that sense of wonder that was created by God to guide me on.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

July 22

SELF-TRUST

MY THOUGHTS ARE IMPORTANT

My thoughts will lead me on the right path. I will trust my thoughts as powerful and true today. My mind is active and alive, and it will create successful thoughts that will be guided by my Higher Power.

What I choose to think can be like dreams coming true. I will select strong, powerful ideas, and not be held down by heavy feelings. I will continually be aware of the power I have to choose my thoughts which, in turn, can lighten my feelings.

In my alcoholic family, I often did not value my thoughts enough to act upon them. I became indecisive and convinced that my ideas were worthless.

Today I will value all my thoughts and acknowledge the richness of my ideas. I will be led along the right path.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

July 23

FORGIVENESS

I WILL FORGIVE TODAY - I WILL BE FREE

Today I will forgive all those people I resent and move on to a new freedom. My resentment inhibits my energy and blocks my spirit. The rage that seethes within me affects my spirit, my emotions, and my physical well-being.

Today I concentrate on forgiveness. I do not let my rage and resentment flood out of control. I will not be blinded by emotional intensity and separated from my true strengths.

Today I will release all rage and resentment and regain my spirit by forgiving all the people I resent. I will no longer carry excess rage as excess baggage on my journey through recovery.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you for your service, Jennie.
Are these from the new ACOA Daily Meditation Book? I've been waiting for that to come out.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

They are from Daily Affirmations For Adult Children of Alcoholics by Rokelle Lerner. Copyright 1985. I bought it on Amazon a few weeks ago... loving them!!! They are just right on the mark for ACOAs.

Which book are you talking about? I might have to get it too
Old 07-24-2013, 03:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

ACA had this own coming out. I am waiting for that.

Some of what these say are helpful
But I have to use my discernment with anything that isn't 12-step approved literature.
Basically anything that isn't in the Big Book of AA actually.

Example: the first one says we want to be actors instead of reactors. The truth is I want to be neither.

The actor in the main 12 steps where they were written which always supersedes all other written word for all recovery, says the actor demands things out of the universe for himself and then he gets back retaliation from others.

So in other words I can see where these readings are right but I can see where some of what they say are wrong, that's if I want to recover God instead of what I "think I deserve".

Otherwise I become just the like
Selfish person who wants his share and believes good recovery should look a certain way to others. I become narcissistic just like the people who hurt me.

It has to be a balance - I'm here to work for God and i want to be healthy enough myself to do that. I have to watch my motives and follow my heart.

Most don't even want it though which is why they stay sick, angry at what others aren't treating them like.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

They have been nothing but positive and helpful for me. And I use my discernment with anything, especially with things labeled "official" ... but I'm a natural skeptic anyway. And I certainly don't believe that theists have a monopoly on recovery. So I am always wary of "God" talk, as far as touting it's got some sort of edge on things. You certainly don't have to be a theist to recover.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

July 24

PEACE

TODAY I WILL FEEL AT PEACE

Within me is an imperturbable peace. This peace is the root of my spirituality. This peace frames and reflects my mind's view of the world. This peace enables me to fearlessly trust my intuition. This peace is pure tranquility.

The spiritually-centered me is strong, power-filled, positive and alive. Love radiates from my core and shines upon all those I come in contact with. Today I will feel no turmoil, no conflict. I will not feel responsible for the thoughts and feelings of others. Centered and composed, I will be clear about my limits and I will forgive.

Perfect peace releases all stress and allows me to serenely experience all that comes my way today.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Recovery is uncovering God.

Period.

Everything else is just overcoming, which I suppose many can do.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for your opinion on the matter, but this is not the place for dogma. Feel free to take that thought to somewhere else on the forum for debate. This thread is not about that, at all.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Thank you for doing service and posting the daily affirmations Jennie. Those are very useful for those of us who are looking for balance and contentment in our recovery.