Notices

New Here

Old 07-12-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here

Hi,

I'm a recovering alcoholic and have been suffering a relapse lately. The first time I went sober was 11/2011 and kept sober until 3/2013. Recently I've been drinking, hiding it from people, and generally doing what I did before.

I want to quit again, I really do. I can go several days without a drink but then I get the impulse and have a hard time resisting. Next thing I know I've had 8 beers...

Anyways, I'm hoping this site may help me quit again. I've done AA and it never really worked for me. Went through a couple sponsors and everything. I didn't stop drinking the first time until I stopped going to AA and focused on myself. AA seemed to become an excuse to drink for me, penitence almost.

I believe I just need some reminders why I don't want to drink when the impulse hits. I hope to maybe find it here.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hallous

if you want to quit you'll find a lot of support here - I found it a lot harder to go and drink when I was here everyday reminding myself of why that was such a ridiculous idea.

D
Old 07-12-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi There hallous and welcome to SR! I have the perfect thread for you! lol

Check out the 24 hour club. We check in everyday and make a commitment to the club not to drink and or drug for that day. Then we come back and do it again. Helps to be accountable.If you have any trouble finding it let me know in a pm. If I can help you with anything else please let me know.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! You will find only positive encouragement here and lots of help! I'm on day 26 and doing well. I owe my sobriety to the book "Alcohol Lied to Me" by Craig Beck. You will not have any cravings with his method! Best wishes! We all know it doesn't work to moderate (I tried many many times!!!), quitting completely is the only answer.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, Hallous! To remind myself of why I quit drinking, I wrote and reread something called a Cost Benefit Analysis from Smart Recovery. It worked for me. Other people swear by AVRT or other methods. (check out the secular connections forum for more info on those) But what I find really really helpful is reading this website and getting support from others in recovery here. So we're here to support you too!

Best to you,

Junegirl
Old 07-12-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, so glad you joined us! You will find tons of support and excellent advice here. It has helped keep me sober for the past five months after a relapse and I never thought it was possible.

When/if the impulse hits, just come here. You're never alone on SR
Old 07-12-2013, 11:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the site! You'll find lots of support here.