Notices

long-time lurker, first-time poster

Old 07-12-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

long-time lurker, first-time poster

Howdy, all. Just introducing myself. I've been creeping these forums for a while, but finally registered today since I'm ready to quit and want to give myself as many tools and resources and as much community as possible, since I've been trying to quit for a long time but doing it mostly in isolation. Yeah, that really doesn't work so well. So my plan is to read and post here actively on a daily basis, go to as many meetings as I can, and to blog regularly about what I'm going through (soberandsovereign.wordpress.com, if anyone feels compelled.)

I've been on a multi-week relapse/bender of daily, secretive binge drinking, and went out last night and drank a lot. Not the most ever, by any means, but a typical night: pre-gamed with a six-pack and downed several pints at the bar. Picked up another sixer on the way home because you know, didn't want to stop the party too early. Of course I passed out about halfway through the first bottle. I feel terrible all the time, I'm in terrible shape and have really porked up this last year or so of very heavy drinking, and it just doesn't work for me anymore. I'm (almost) 35. I want to do things. I want to finish grad school (I've been one year away from graduating for like six years.) I want to find a partner. I want to do fun things in the world with other human beings that don't revolve around stale-smelling dark rooms and gut-busting pitchers of fermented grain.

Anyway, glad to be here, and looking forward to getting to know you all. Xo.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! As I am sure you know there is a lot of support here.

It all starts with day one and one day at a time after that
Old 07-12-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi sobersovereign, thanks for your courage in posting. Sounds like you are to the point where something has to give. You are still young, so what a great time to start a new life. I've been there too. Please take the time, if you haven't already, to note the different mechanisms that people use here to gain and keep sobriety. I wish you all the best in your fight and we are with you.
Yours,
cas
Old 07-12-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, sobersovereign. There is lots of help and advice to be found in these forums. We're glad to have you.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to life, not as I want it but the way it is IF we don't complicate it. I just thought that if you put the effort into getting the degree as put into drinking...WOW! When I was drinking my wants and desires were screwed up until at a meeting someone reined me in with the statement. "You need to get sober first and maybe if you work at it good things will happen" With a lot of work good things happened, At my age my wants are much simpler and now I try to concentrate on my needs. As is stated at meetings "be careful what you ask for." MEETINGS, MEETINGS AND MORE MEETINGS. BE WELL
Old 07-12-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR We are close to the same age. I'm also thinking about going to grad school, and starting a recovery blog... so I really look forward to reading more of your posts, again, welcome!
Old 07-12-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Welcome!
Old 07-12-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome sober sovereign

D
Old 07-12-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Welcome Sobersovereign, it takes courage to type that first post, but after that things seem to flow! Have a look around the threads, there are plenty of new folk in the July 2013 & 1 year and under threads going through the same feelings and issues, and there are plenty of threads of different interests. You will get support and help, if you ask for it, And any advice given will be gratefully,received. Happy travels down the sober road 😄
Old 07-12-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hippie Rock~n~Roller

Hello and Welcome !! I am very new here too and already I feel incredibly inspired and motivated. My advice to you would be to not allow yourself to just lurk anymore. The more you post, the more you will put out there about yourself and the more we will get to know you. Its easy to just sit back and watch life happen and a little harder to jump in and get involved
Old 07-12-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR sobersovereign. It's great to meet you. I hope you find the support you're looking for - you are no longer alone.