Notices

I am New

Old 07-12-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am New

I am not an addict. I just ended a relationship with one and am exhausting all possible resources. Anyone know when it starts to get better?
Old 07-12-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi LadyM87, from one Lady to another, welcome to the board! I was going to suggest that you check out the friends and family forum but I see you found your way there.

Happy that you came here, the people are great and you'll get some great insight and information
Old 07-12-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Welcome to SR... I am sorry for the loss of your relationship. Being with an active addict/alcoholic can be so draining.

We have a forum here for those who love/loved addicts, do check it out.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyM87 View Post
Anyone know when it starts to get better?
do you have any activities that can keep you a little busy

makes it worse when we sit around too much in our own head

I recommend bicycle riding for one healthy thing to do

Mountainman
Old 07-12-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If u ended it it already started getting better, you will be amazed at how you will bounce back. The pain lessens and every day is a day closer to feeling better. Wait till some time goes by and you meet someone new,you'll look back and say,omg,what the hell was I thinking??? Keep your head up!!!!
Old 07-12-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyM87 View Post
I am not an addict. I just ended a relationship with one and am exhausting all possible resources. Anyone know when it starts to get better?
Hi Lady. I divorced an alcoholic in 2006. I remember feeling like you do now. I recommend the book Co-dependent No More.
Also reading, writing, exercising, spending time with friends and family, etc. it DOES get better. I think about 4-6 months out it dawned on me that life was so much better and I was no longer devoting so my time and energy to his addiction.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

wow thank you all so much for the support. I know I'm making the right choice. I know how great my life is. I have been keeping busy. Even before it ended I just didn't want to make time for him anymore he became so unreliable that I was always worried I'd be waiting for him to show and he'd bail, I started making more plans with my friends & family. I have been exercising a hell of a lot which makes me feel great. I am exhausted by the time I lay down at night. But the pain, it comes and goes in waves. I will be like on a positive happy vibe (my best self) and planning for my furture, getting excited about make up or clothes or the summer or whatever and then boom it just hits me like tidal wave. I hate this so much.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's tough. You love the person and hate the disease. To this day I think my ex husband is a good man with a bad problem. However I had to
Consciously choose to not make his problem mine. Your exhaustion will dissipate and you will be able to reflect with a clear mind.